Why become a member? ×

Tobias Pro upgrade

johnm

I had a Tobias Pro six string for quite a while, and had always intended upgrading the bits. The standard Mighty Mite pickups and guts were weedier than a very weedy thing. I replaced the internals with an EMG 3-band system which was very good, but never got round to doing the pickups. I needed EMG-40Ps but couldn't afford them ;) I don't like Barts personally.
A lot of it depends on the sound you want really. Bart pickups for example will give you a warmer tone than EMGs. The possibilities are wide. Is yours a 4, 5 or 6?

[quote name='Rich' post='401232' date='Feb 5 2009, 04:40 PM']I had a Tobias Pro six string for quite a while, and had always intended upgrading the bits. The standard Mighty Mite pickups and guts were weedier than a very weedy thing. I replaced the internals with an EMG 3-band system which was very good, but never got round to doing the pickups. I needed EMG-40Ps but couldn't afford them ;) I don't like Barts personally.
A lot of it depends on the sound you want really. Bart pickups for example will give you a warmer tone than EMGs. The possibilities are wide. Is yours a 4, 5 or 6?[/quote]

And I did the oppposite to Rich! I upgraded my Pro 6 to EMG 40P pups but never got round to doing the preamp. With ref to the stock pups and electronics, you will notice a great and very appealing difference to doing both.

My personal preference is for EMG pups and I have never really gotten on with Barts.. When it comes to upgrades, there are so many combinations, we could discuss forever!

The constraints you will have to overcome in one way or another is whether or not the pups and preamp fit correctly in the bass without having to hack it up.

In short though, you'll be making a great bass better!

[quote name='Rich' post='401232' date='Feb 5 2009, 04:40 PM']I had a Tobias Pro six string for quite a while, and had always intended upgrading the bits. The standard Mighty Mite pickups and guts were weedier than a very weedy thing. I replaced the internals with an EMG 3-band system which was very good, but never got round to doing the pickups. I needed EMG-40Ps but couldn't afford them ;) I don't like Barts personally.
A lot of it depends on the sound you want really. Bart pickups for example will give you a warmer tone than EMGs. The possibilities are wide. Is yours a 4, 5 or 6?[/quote]

It's a 4 string...........
did you have to do much when fitting the EMG 3 band system?
I thought about Bartolini as they were fitted to the original Michael Tobias basses before
he sold to Gibson I think//

Edited by johnm

I had to drill a hole for an extra control, as the EMG eq system I got was the BQS 3-band with the sweepable mid. There was plenty of room for the extra control.
If you fitted a 2-band eq then obviously you wouldn't need to do any drilling (or any other mods).
The EMG pickups are exactly the same size as the crappy stock ones.

had a reply from EMG they don't do pickups to fit the Tobias pro 4 ..........

.Bartolini it looks like it'll be them or am I better changing the tone system??? decisions
I just feel the pickups lack a bit of oomph... on an otherwise great mid price bass

Edited by johnm

Interesting

It'd be good to see what your bass looks like. I'm fairly sure that mine was a Tobias Pro 4 and it was upgraded with EMGs.

Have you measured your pups and checked dimennsions on their site.

I think they were 5 string sized.

I'll search BC although I suspect I did the mods when BC was called something else ;)

Edited to say, no info on BC.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing