Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon 8 string, Value?

Sean.Robinson

Hi, ive just been around a few music shops today and i noticed a Shergold Marathon 8 string. Id heard about their rep so thought id give it a try and absolutely loved it, especially the sound. The question is though how much is it worth. The shop was asking £1000 and i got them down to £899 and after how nicely it played i was tempted, however it has got a fair few nocks and marks on it, granted it is a 30+ year old bass.

So in short would you say it is worth that or are they charging way over its value as im not too up on the value of the basses.

Looks like this but with marks, a p style pickup and obviously an extra 4 strings:

[quote name='Sercet' post='400405' date='Feb 4 2009, 08:50 PM']Was this in Denmark Street? If it's the one I am thinking of, it's been there for at least six years at that price. Prices of Shergolds do vary, but I'd say £200 to £400 for an 8.[/quote]

Hi, no it was in manchester, though for reference how much is the one at denmark street please? im thinking of ringing tomorrow and trying some major haggling, not holding my breathe though.

Decent 8-strings are far and few between. Only the Dean model is easily available in this country. I find it a bit generic, although it is the standard by which I judge all other 8-strings for sound and playability. If you haven't already, you should try one just so you can compare how it to the Shergold and see if you think a second-hand bass is worth twice the price.

Personally I've given up looking for a really good 8-string in the shops/second hand, and will probably have my next one custom built.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='400557' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:44 PM']Decent 8-strings are far and few between. Only the Dean model is easily available in this country. I find it a bit generic, although it is the standard by which I judge all other 8-strings for sound and playability. If you haven't already, you should try one just so you can compare how it to the Shergold and see if you think a second-hand bass is worth twice the price.

Personally I've given up looking for a really good 8-string in the shops/second hand, and will probably have my next one custom built.[/quote]

Hi to be honest i dont think its worth anywhere near the value simply because i could get an 8 string rickenbacker for not much more than that price and be a very happy man. It was a great playing bass and up to £500 id buy it straight away but otherwise i think im just going to have to look for something a little better value for money. Ive spent all night trawling through the night and im shocked as to how few 8 strings there actually are and if i had the money id arrive at the custom conclusion too.

I've emailed warmoth and going to see how much they charge for a 8 string neck and if its not too much i think that may be the way to go for me. Aside from that i thin i may have to route out the dean like you say though from my experience with them im not a fan. I was looking at the ESP Ltd and Schecters aswell but my main concern is it seems to have become a metal gimmick when they are really great sounding basses and surprisingly easy to play :/