Why become a member? ×

PRS IV for The Burpster

High score

as promised to Burpster, thought I would share piccies of my PRS4. Swamp ash, rosewood fret, tobacco burst colour

EDIT: bugger, just realised I attached HUGE pictures - may take a bit to load - sorry

[attachment=19721:DSC00205.JPG]

[attachment=19718:DSC00201.JPG]

[attachment=19719:DSC00206.JPG]

Edited by The Burpster

[quote name='High score' post='399830' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:55 AM']as promised to Burpster, thought I would share piccies of my PRS4. Swamp ash, rosewood fret, tobacco burst colour

EDIT: bugger, just realised I attached HUGE pictures - may take a bit to load - sorry[/quote]

Nice burst on your bass.
(p.s. - pics only took a few seconds to open)

Edited by Stingray5

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='400523' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:03 PM']Nice bass and I love the look of those pick ups; what are they?[/quote]

Thanks,

I have other PRS guitars and was looking for something else when I picked this up by accident and don't regret it. It was made in 2001 but I bought it brand new, sealed in the box, from the US last year for £1150 including all tax and carriage - absolute steal. Never bought an instrtument ''blind'' before but no regrets with this.

The pickups are PRS own 'high output' passive units.

love the burst on your prs, think I will have too keep my eye out for one of these to partner my seafoam green prs
I am gassing after a 5 string prs though so might have to wait for another rocking horse to leave me a present ;)

all the best,

Juice

[quote name='juice' post='401505' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:06 PM']love the burst on your prs, think I will have too keep my eye out for one of these to partner my seafoam green prs
I am gassing after a 5 string prs though so might have to wait for another rocking horse to leave me a present ;)

all the best,

Juice[/quote]

ooo you got piccies? saw ones from Burpster and his are very sweet.

there are a few PRS bass around but don't seem to hit the market very often. Did PRS make a 5 as standard or was it Private Stock only?

Edited by High score

heres a couple of quick pics, bass is signed on the rear cover and back of headstock as this was a custom order....
[attachment=19835:headstock.jpg]
[attachment=19836:main.jpg]
[attachment=19834:back.jpg]

PRS did do some production 5'ers, If I was to order a Private Stock it would be a 6 string based on the KL series guitar or maybe the modern eagle 2 ;)

[quote name='juice' post='401647' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:38 PM']heres a couple of quick pics, bass is signed on the rear cover and back of headstock as this was a custom order....
[attachment=19835:headstock.jpg]
[attachment=19836:main.jpg]
[attachment=19834:back.jpg]

PRS did do some production 5'ers, If I was to order a Private Stock it would be a 6 string based on the KL series guitar or maybe the modern eagle 2 ;)[/quote]

looks lush - never really seen a sea foam outside of the Fender range - did you get it new?

what are the pickups? is the third one significantly different?

what would a Private Stock commission cost now?

Edited by High score

[quote name='power of ten' post='401682' date='Feb 6 2009, 12:42 AM']Seems we've got a it of a PRS thread going, Heres mine, doesnt get much use these days, but cant let it go!

[attachment=19839:prs_eb_small.jpg][/quote]

another stunner. Not clear from piccie, is the paint solid? What is the body made of?

[quote name='Dodge' post='401836' date='Feb 6 2009, 10:23 AM']Here's my 89 Curly Bass 4:

[/quote]

Sorry Dodge, but you are just showing off now!!! ;)

Don't think I've seen one like this outside a Private Stock. Seems pretty obvious from a lot of the newer PRS gear that high end woods liike yours are running out............lovely instrument and a real keeper.........

HS,

That is lovely and let me know if you ever need to part with her.... I seriously like the Swampy bodied ones.... ;)

I think I had better take a pic of all 4 of mine together now having a little group hug ..... :P

BTW I have booked in the neck of my latest one to be epoxied by HG Thor, so now I just have to wait and wait....

BTW-2- I was quoted a deposit of $3k (when the exchange rate was waaaay better) before I could even start to spec a GG 5 bass, and then there was pretty much no limit ( a bit like buying a Rolls Royce, "if you have to ask how much it is, you cant afford it!").

P-O-T,

I've not see a Chery Red one, I'm not normally a 'red' person but that is very attractive..... :)

Dodge's Curly is perdy isn't it ..... :wub:

[quote name='The Burpster' post='402022' date='Feb 6 2009, 02:12 PM']HS,

That is lovely and let me know if you ever need to part with her.... I seriously like the Swampy bodied ones.... ;)

I think I had better take a pic of all 4 of mine together now having a little group hug ..... :P

BTW I have booked in the neck of my latest one to be epoxied by HG Thor, so now I just have to wait and wait....

BTW-2- I was quoted a deposit of $3k (when the exchange rate was waaaay better) before I could even start to spec a GG 5 bass, and then there was pretty much no limit ( a bit like buying a Rolls Royce, "if you have to ask how much it is, you cant afford it!").

P-O-T,

I've not see a Chery Red one, I'm not normally a 'red' person but that is very attractive..... :)

Dodge's Curly is perdy isn't it ..... :wub:[/quote]

Must admit not seen many swampy ones either to be honest - knew you would approve of it.

Yep - get yours posted on this thread - I know you have put them up already but be nice to see a collection growing - especially with the red, sea foam and curly top to kick it off - all of them quite striking.

If the exchange rates do improve I might go shopping again in the US as well. Don't think there will be many new ones in the main stream stores now to be honest but there is a fair few appear as used in mint condition.

So get your finger out and launch your piccies !!!!

[quote name='High score' post='401771' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:21 AM']looks lush - never really seen a sea foam outside of the Fender range - did you get it new?

what are the pickups? is the third one significantly different?

what would a Private Stock commission cost now?[/quote]

Hi HS,

I bought this bass from the original owner who commissioned it from PRS.

3 single coil pickups, 1 hum canceling. the 10 position selector means you can get a vast range of sounds from the 3-pick-up combination.

I have been told that £4-5k would be a good starting price for a PS and that would also be the cost to replicate the bass I have should I need to.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='402605' date='Feb 7 2009, 09:00 AM']Dodge, if you can get to any of the BC bashes that I can make it to let me know and you may try any of mine.... ;)[/quote]

That's very kind - I'll be sure to bring mine along for you too.

Cheers!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='402685' date='Feb 7 2009, 10:57 AM']Dodge, look forward to it, th' I have feeling I may get GAS for set neck model ;)[/quote]

Have you tried the first series basses? They're... well.. different! The onboard preamp is just crazy, SO much bass it's not really usable, plus the neck pickup is very odd sounding. Almost sine-wave like.

I tend to use a Yamaha NE-1 parametric box to tone things down somewhat - but it's a lovely bass when you get to grips with it.

Here's some more PRS's from my collection (6 strings though!)

[quote name='Dodge' post='402694' date='Feb 7 2009, 11:16 AM'][/quote]

that makes me wish I had never sold my black eg4 when I moved to bass.. nice collection tho my friend ;)

I have been told they did an EG4 in seafoam green as standard so I might have to keep an eye out for one to match my custom bass.

juice