Why become a member? ×

my first gig on double

Jezyorkshire

After having my double bass for 6 months i have done my first gig at a pub sitting in with a tradish band, not really my cup of tea, no rehearsal , reading chord charts and i absolutly loved it, been trying to build my stamina over the last month so i can get out playing.
also offered my services to someone doing original songs on the acoustic scene so have been been working at that so should be rehearsing that soon, cant believe how satisfying it is playing an acoustic instrument, used a sax clip on mic through a valve pre amp into my Markbass combo, sounded quite good, cheers, Jez.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' post='399622' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:56 AM']After having my double bass for 6 months i have done my first gig at a pub sitting in with a tradish band, not really my cup of tea, no rehearsal , reading chord charts and i absolutly loved it, been trying to build my stamina over the last month so i can get out playing.
also offered my services to someone doing original songs on the acoustic scene so have been been working at that so should be rehearsing that soon, cant believe how satisfying it is playing an acoustic instrument, used a sax clip on mic through a valve pre amp into my Markbass combo, sounded quite good, cheers, Jez.[/quote]

Nice one Jezz, may it be the the first of many !

I played my first DB gig two years ago and havent looked back since ;)

I played my first gig on my Stagg a week ago. Only did half a dozen songs, partly due to stamina, partly because it wouldn't suit much of our material. It went down a storm. Feedback from the band and audience alike was very positive. They loved the look and the sound and couldn't believe I only got it at Christmas.

More material has been learned and I can't wait for the next one now. The upright is the way forward for me.

thanks guys, a few hours before the gig i had my car hit in the rear, i was driving along when some young lad through a large snowball at my windscreen, i braked sharply and the guy behind me hit me, still drivable but i am hoping that theres enough damage to write it off so i will get some money to buy an estate as it is a pain getting the double bass in my present car, cheers, Jez.

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' post='399781' date='Feb 4 2009, 10:52 AM']thanks guys, a few hours before the gig i had my car hit in the rear, i was driving along when some young lad through a large snowball at my windscreen, i braked sharply and the guy behind me hit me, still drivable but i am hoping that theres enough damage to write it off so i will get some money to buy an estate as it is a pain getting the double bass in my present car, cheers, Jez.[/quote]

Nice one Jez! I'm glad the old girl is getting some good use after all. I certainly miss that sound, but maybe I'll get back to the DB another day...

Keep up the good work ;)

J

Welcome to the club mate! You'll never look back plus you'll be inundated with offers of gigs.

There is something that is just so satisfying about playing upright bass - I can't quite put my finger on it. It's just so much more involved - all your effort and concentration goes into making each note sound just right.

[quote name='TheRev' post='399829' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:55 AM']Welcome to the club mate! You'll never look back plus you'll be inundated with offers of gigs.

There is something that is just so satisfying about playing upright bass - I can't quite put my finger on it. It's just so much more involved - all your effort and concentration goes into making each note sound just right.[/quote]

Nice one Jez,
I second all the above, and have you started to notice that when you walk in carrying such an instrument folks actually seem pleased to see you? ;)
HUGH

• 2 weeks later...