Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Special Fretless - Sounds Thin

xilddx

I have a Jap Fender Jazz Bass Special Fretless (MightyMite Ebanol neck, Deep Talkin' flats). It has the original passive Jazz bridge pup and a P-bass pup. It's a lovely bass but I played a set with it a couple of weeks ago and it sounds thin and weedy and uninspiring, next to my Warwick Corvette $$ anyway.

I want the sound to be richer and deeper with higher output, more like my Corvette. I will be using it for modern funk and dub tones so I need rich deep lows and perhaps a bit of growl.

Would the Stellartone option work? I am doubtful as I have never heard one. Should I change the pups, if so, what would you recommend? I don't mind going active, or passive/active like the Corvette. They need to be standard Fender size and the same format, ie. J P.

Any help would be very greatfully received. I have read lots of stuff on the www but haven't come up with a trustworthy solution.

Cheers all.

[quote name='silddx' post='397837' date='Feb 2 2009, 01:32 PM']I have a Jap Fender Jazz Bass Special Fretless (MightyMite Ebanol neck, Deep Talkin' flats). It has the original passive Jazz bridge pup and a P-bass pup. It's a lovely bass but I played a set with it a couple of weeks ago and it sounds thin and weedy and uninspiring, next to my Warwick Corvette $$ anyway.

I want the sound to be richer and deeper with higher output, more like my Corvette. I will be using it for modern funk and dub tones so I need rich deep lows and perhaps a bit of growl.

Would the Stellartone option work? I am doubtful as I have never heard one. Should I change the pups, if so, what would you recommend? I don't mind going active, or passive/active like the Corvette. They need to be standard Fender size and the same format, ie. J P.

Any help would be very greatfully received. I have read lots of stuff on the www but haven't come up with a trustworthy solution.

Cheers all.[/quote]
Having been through a similar situation, I'd say a hotter pup will help but it won't transform. For real change, a pre-amp will be needed. I fitted a John East Retro to my Fender Jap Jazz fretless, and it instantly gave me a new range of sounds.

Ahh, excellent!

Just had a look at the website., This could be the answer.

Would you kindly expand on what was missing in your bass and what the John East provided? What did you get and was it easy to fit?

I am looking at the BTB 01 which could be good for me, I might want a mid sweep too though.

Thanks for the tip off.

[quote name='silddx' post='397954' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:23 PM']These are great solutions, thank you both!

I will investigate the best options for a pre and let you know. Hadn't even thought of getting one! Basschat is wonderful.

Thanks again.[/quote]

The Audere pre-amp is very good too. Or have a look at a set of EMGs. They will fatten the sound up and give a higher output more like your $$.