Why become a member? ×

Trying to get that sound???

Bero

Hi, I use a Geddy Lee Fender Jazz and struggle with sound, would like to get a nice jazzy type stuart zender sound, I use a trace elliott pre amp, the bass says it has 60's Fender pick ups, have used several different strings and guages. Has anyone else had the same trouble with this bass, is it mostly a rock bass, any thoughts on a pick up change or settings on amp.
Any help, thoughts would be appreciated

i never said i didnt like the bass, i just wanted some tips on how to achieve a type of sound

This bass is an excellent bass, lovely to play, as i think anyone on here will tell you, was looking at a way of achieving a sound with a combination of bass and amp settings or effects, or even any modifications to my bass

I dont think anyone would just buy this bass just to sound like geddy lee and play rush covers, its a great bass and just trying to get the beat out of it

try soloin' the front pickup, playing heavy over it and turning down the tone. this bassy tone is where you need to start.
try to imagine that the bass tracks have been heavily processed at every stage. the tone is probably made up of a DI signal post fx, a mic'd signal straight from the rig (which is probably compressed and eq'ed up).
on travelling without moving, his tone and playing is very similar to early bernard edwards, cosmic girl anyone???
hopes this helps,
apart from buying a maple warwick bass and trace elliot, there is nothing really solid i can offer you!!!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='397561' date='Feb 2 2009, 09:35 AM']Unfortunately the real solution is practice, and lots of it! Really focus on listening to how how you play changes the sound you get. Forget twiddling knobs, work on getting that vibe from the bass with your hands, then tweak EQ etc to add seasoning.

Alex[/quote]

+1

It's amazing how much of your tone comes from your fingers. The keyboard player in my band is first and foremost a bass player, and whenever he picks up my bass at rehearsals it always sounds totally different to when I play it, even with exactly the same settings.