Why become a member? ×

Sanding a neck?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='396555' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:01 AM']Would sanding scratches out the back of a neck comprimise the wood?

I just want to make sure before doing it.[/quote]

How bad are the scratches and what wood is the neck made from and how is it finished? Post a pic if you can.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='396557' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:02 AM']How bad are the scratches and what wood is the neck made from and how is it finished? Post a pic if you can.[/quote]

I think it's rosewood on maple, it's a lacquered finish but I wouldn't mind it an unfinished neck.

The scratches are bad but no deeper than 1mm.

I was thinking really fine sandpaper to get a smooth finish.

I'd have no issues sanding shallow scratches out of a maple neck. If your sandpaper is really fine then you'll spend hours getting nowhere. Start at 200 grit and go thru 400, 600 then 800 or finer, or finish with a scotchbrite fine sanding pad, but don't leave it unlacquered to soak up sweat, grease, beer spills, who knows what. Wipe on 3 to 5 thin coats of Tru-Oil, cure between coats and then buff up with 0000 wire wool. Luverly.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='396572' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:23 AM']I'd have no issues sanding shallow scratches out of a maple neck. If your sandpaper is really fine then you'll spend hours getting nowhere. Start at 200 grit and go thru 400, 600 then 800 or finer, or finish with a scotchbrite fine sanding pad, but don't leave it unlacquered to soak up sweat, grease, beer spills, who knows what. Wipe on 3 to 5 thin coats of Tru-Oil, cure between coats and then buff up with 0000 wire wool. Luverly.[/quote]

[quote name='Jarhead' post='396635' date='Feb 1 2009, 09:52 AM']Do it, I did with my Jazz and its fine, plays even better. Fine sandpaper until you cant see the finish anymore is what I did, then I just put a bit of lemon oil on, for no apparent reason lol. Plays great now, nothing to hinder hand movement.
Zach[/quote]

Cheers guys, I now have something to do on my day off ;)

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='396572' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:23 AM']I'd have no issues sanding shallow scratches out of a maple neck. If your sandpaper is really fine then you'll spend hours getting nowhere. Start at 200 grit and go thru 400, 600 then 800 or finer, or finish with a scotchbrite fine sanding pad, but don't leave it unlacquered to soak up sweat, grease, beer spills, who knows what. Wipe on 3 to 5 thin coats of Tru-Oil, cure between coats and then buff up with 0000 wire wool. Luverly.[/quote]

I just read that again am I just putting tru-oil on or tru-oil and lacquer?

I have sanded it and it is awesome (there are a few knocks still in it deemed them too deep to get out) as far but as you say it will be good to have a finish on it.

Sorry, I see the confusion - I said 'don't leave it unlacquered' - I should have said 'Don't leave it raw, unfinished'.
I love a tru-oil neck, much nicer than lacquer. I would not bother with lacquer and if you tru-oil it then there is no need for lacquer. Just a few thin coats rubbed in to seal the surface of the wood.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='397322' date='Feb 1 2009, 10:15 PM']Sorry, I see the confusion - I said 'don't leave it unlacquered' - I should have said 'Don't leave it raw, unfinished'.
I love a tru-oil neck, much nicer than lacquer. I would not bother with lacquer and if you tru-oil it then there is no need for lacquer. Just a few thin coats rubbed in to seal the surface of the wood.[/quote]

Excellent I'll try to pick some up tomorrow.

Cheers matey, I'll post some before and after pics when it's done, I'm amazed at the difference already.

Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. That is such a great product for guitars. It's linseed-based but its refined and has driers in it. As it dries it cures to a nice hard protective finish and seals the pores. Tung is variable and can stay tacky for ages. I've used Danish for bodies for that natural oil finish but it doesn't have the hard, resiliant properties of a few coats of tru-oil

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='399398' date='Feb 3 2009, 08:48 PM']Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. That is such a great product for guitars. It's linseed-based but its refined and has driers in it. As it dries it cures to a nice hard protective finish and seals the pores. Tung is variable and can stay tacky for ages. I've used Danish for bodies for that natural oil finish but it doesn't have the hard, resiliant properties of a few coats of tru-oil[/quote]

This the stuff I need?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIRCHWOOD-CASEY-TRU-OIL-AIR-RIFLE-GUN-STOCK-FINISH_W0QQitemZ350158886271QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET?hash=item350158886271&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIRCHWOOD-CASEY-TRU-...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

Do I just rub it on with a cloth?

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='399443' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:44 PM']Yes, and yes. Tiny bit goes a long way. A few drops on a clean rag - rub in. Allow to dry for an hour. Repeat x 5 - 10 - you'll get a lovely sheen built up.
Let it fully cure for a few days then buff with 0000 wire wool if you like and rub in a little carnamua or beeswax.[/quote]

Sweet I'll get me some of that and get it finished on the weekend, thanks for the help man.