Why become a member? ×

Power Conditioner - Furman

owen968

Hi all first time entry :P

Ive been browsing around, mainly on TalkBass (im not sure if thts a sin word here) but ive found the FURMAN power conditioners, the only problem is I cant find one anywhere from the UK (searching google ofc) can any1 suggest either a UK alternative or a way to gain one of those.

any info will help ;)

Power conditioners are a waste of money if you live and play in the UK. Our power system is much more stable and better regulated than in the USA. If you want it for the myriad of IEC outlet sockets there are other, probably cheaper, alternatives.

In all my years of playing I've never used one or felt the slightest need for one.

[quote name='obbm' post='396450' date='Jan 31 2009, 09:14 PM']Power conditioners are a waste of money if you live and play in the UK. Our power system is much more stable and better regulated than in the USA. If you want it for the myriad of IEC outlet sockets there are other, probably cheaper, alternatives.

In all my years of playing I've never used one or felt the slightest need for one.[/quote]

Oh come on... the lights! the lights!

[quote name='owen968' post='396981' date='Feb 1 2009, 04:30 PM']ah ok, wot are the alternatives. my main reason for buying was to manage the kettle leads for my gear.[/quote]

Just get a 4-way power strip from B&Q. If you have any digital gear in the rack make it a surge protected one but analogue stuff is sturdy enough to look after itself.

Alex

been doing a bit more research on the power conditioner subject, dont they also manage the electric input which can reduce the electric hum you get whn you have a lot of electrical goods? Also i wanted to reduce the amount of wires in my stack for ease of use.

Any suggestions will be grand

[quote name='owen968' post='399335' date='Feb 3 2009, 07:50 PM']been doing a bit more research on the power conditioner subject, dont they also manage the electric input which can reduce the electric hum you get when you have a lot of electrical goods?[/quote]

Nope. Mains is 50Hz. Hum is 50hz, usually the result of poor earthing or mains crosstalk into poor signal cables.

Get really good cables and check your earth continuity.

Can be the result of running a wallwart or pedal PSU beyond its capacity causing the volts to be dragged down.

Can be induced by inferior design equipment power supplies.

A Power Conditioner will do nothing to eliminate these problems.

[quote name='owen968' post='399335' date='Feb 3 2009, 07:50 PM']Also i wanted to reduce the amount of wires in my stack for ease of use.[/quote]

As already mentioned, get a power distribution strip.