Why become a member? ×

Brass or bone..........

Tinman

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='400077' date='Feb 4 2009, 03:41 PM']Hows about this - the prefect solution would be a zero fret - hence the open string note should sound the same as any other - simple eh?[/quote]

I've always thought that .

As Alex says , maybe there's a degree of damping from the other frets from nice , fleshy fingers but if you choose a string with a silk(ish) wrap around the peg end maybe there's a bit from there too.

I certainly think a zero fret solves - by eradication - any other issues like string height through the nut , poorly cut nuts , poorly seated nuts etc.

Zero fret for me...................except I haven't got any.......

except for the Status which is headless so would work pretty badly without one!

[quote name='bremen' post='400884' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:10 PM']I hesitate to ask who Ruby was...?[/quote]
Ruby IS a rather beautiful and playful Rottweiler :wub: . She kept Mrs T occupied for the hours I was at Jons discussing wood etc

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Tinman' post='401358' date='Feb 5 2009, 06:37 PM']Ruby IS a rather beautiful and playful Rottweiler :wub: . She kept Mrs T occupied for the hours I was at Jons discussing wood etc[/quote]

Which is odd because I left Mrs Doc chatting with Jon while I played with Ruby!!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='400077' date='Feb 4 2009, 03:41 PM']Hows about this - the prefect solution would be a zero fret - hence the open string note should sound the same as any other - simple eh?[/quote]

Except on every bass I've played with a zero fret the open string is noticeably brighter than when fretted. Place your finger on the headstock side of the zero fret though and it sounds much more like a fretted note. The ebony nut on my RIM Custom 5 seems to achieve a similar effect.

Alex