Why become a member? ×

hello fellow unsung heroes

ogri

:P
hello blokes

49 years old
been playing bass since '76, gigging regular since err '76 (how clever we think we are when we are young lol)
been on telly once(live and kicking) radio once (lite fm :) ) magazines regularly(sadly never as a bassist, i roadtest for "bike" magazine ;) )
and thats all there is, the sum of my existence..

apart from, always, always loved playing bass far more than any other instrument, been playing with the same drummer(blanty) for last 12 years and three bands, which is a godsend because he is bloody brilliant and makes me sound far better than i actually am.
and he always makes me laugh, which as you know, is more important than anything being in a band. a kid in the music shop asked me what its like being in a band once.. i told him "its tough..like being married, but without the sex. actually, its just like being married..."
bet he ignored my sagely advice, joined a band, then got married... :huh:

thanks guys, and hello young nick :) (i knew him when all this was just fields...), and i hope that black precision you added to your collection the day i got mine is still pleasuring you mightily ;) :P ..

glad theres a few fellow bikers on hear too, bikes an music do go hand in hand, especially with us old uns :huh:

[quote name='High score' post='397826' date='Feb 2 2009, 01:24 PM']Hello - I am new as well but enjoying the forum loads....

Yep, impressed...........not just riding but road testing........you going to tell me you got all your own hair as well aren't you??[/quote]

buddy, dont be too impressed, i freelance road test fairly infrequently (am in it this months daylight robbery feature but probably only do six issues/tests a year or so) ..and yes i do have my own hair, though its going verrrry grey now, and along with my ageing labrador, two basses and cb1300 is just about all i do have.. ;)

[quote name='High score' post='397967' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:32 PM']ha ha ha at least you are down to earth and have a sense of humour......... :huh:

What's it like working for a mag then? Who else do you journo for?[/quote]
only them buddy. i got the gig three years back, EMAP (now Baur) are based at peterborough and use the same local tuning guru(mark brewin bsd) as i do. they had a big test coming up, hayabusa, blackbird, zx12r and the new fast beemer thrapping around the isle of man for a week, needed a fourth rider, asked mark if he knew anyone the criteria being

1) wont fall off
2) can keep up
3) knows loads of dirty jokes

naturally, lol, he put me forward

after that, i got called in everytime they were short, or needed a sort of "real world rider" test, the highlights being the nurburgring on all the sports thou's and the then new 1098 ducati, and best of all, calais to north africa, on my own, on a new zzr1400, in twenty four hours.. by the time i was on the ferry to morrocco 24 hours after leaving the hotel in calais i was buzzing so much that even after riding 1500 miles non stop i did another 500..that was a proper old adventure that was ;) :P :)

the job is fantastic, its just a shame i dont do it all the time, but there you go.
i get paid well, but the best perk... it costs manufacturers two grand for a half page advert in "bike"..so instead of that they give the road testers there gear as its free advertising for them! have got leathers, winter suits, heated gear, helmets, boots etc all gratis..my favourite freebies being my lovely orange/black retro helston jacket and the black arai viper i got on the last job.

Edited by ogri

So are you saying that you don't have your very own Mitzi or just that she doesn't 'put out' any more?

I'm also 49, play bass & ride bikes ;)

I've got some copies of Bike Mag going back to '75 / '76 when I was a huge fan of Ogri. Stopped buying it for years but on a subscription again these days.

Down to 3 bikes now - '06 BMW K1200GT / '07 Suzuki GSXR 1000 / '00 Harley based chop with a 2.1 litre engine but ride about 400 miles a week through out the year (but not today!).

[quote name='ogri' post='398173' date='Feb 2 2009, 06:41 PM']only them buddy. i got the gig three years back, EMAP (now Baur) are based at peterborough and use the same local tuning guru(mark brewin bsd) as i do. they had a big test coming up, hayabusa, blackbird, zx12r and the new fast beemer thrapping around the isle of man for a week, needed a fourth rider, asked mark if he knew anyone the criteria being

1) wont fall off
2) can keep up
3) knows loads of dirty jokes

naturally, lol, he put me forward

after that, i got called in everytime they were short, or needed a sort of "real world rider" test, the highlights being the nurburgring on all the sports thou's and the then new 1098 ducati, and best of all, calais to north africa, on my own, on a new zzr1400, in twenty four hours.. by the time i was on the ferry to morrocco 24 hours after leaving the hotel in calais i was buzzing so much that even after riding 1500 miles non stop i did another 500..that was a proper old adventure that was ;) :P :)

the job is fantastic, its just a shame i dont do it all the time, but there you go.
i get paid well, but the best perk... it costs manufacturers two grand for a half page advert in "bike"..so instead of that they give the road testers there gear as its free advertising for them! have got leathers, winter suits, heated gear, helmets, boots etc all gratis..my favourite freebies being my lovely orange/black retro helston jacket and the black arai viper i got on the last job.[/quote]

yep sounds like a cool gig. I had a small motor bike business years ago renovating classic bikes and all I got was heart ache trying to get cash from my Customers !!

Was heavily into bike rallys for many years but dropped that scene when I started working away from home and going abroad. Still got some old bikes left over from my business. An old BMW 'Brick' K100RS. 1993 and still only 15K on the clock, few triumphs - old type. Needless to say they are in my ex wifes garage and I've not seen them in a lomg time.

These are not in the same league as modern sports bikes though. Last biggie I came close to was a ZX9 but stuffed myself with points totted up over a three months period with the finale being caught ''significantly over the ton''. First exposure to an SP60. did not know what it was until I tried getting insurance.

Lastly, not seen an OGRI book in years !!

lol..blokes..have had the nickname ogri many years now, cant think why, he's such an ugly bugger an im so pretty... ;)

mitzi is still about, we got a house together eventually, thats when it went tits up, now we are only in touch by cheque( the reason i only run one bike nowadays) but thats real life for ya.. :P

gixxer thous an old triumphs both rock in their own particular ways, nice one dudes

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='398628' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:41 AM']Welcome from another bass playing biker (98 VFR800)! :)[/quote]
excellent another biker, lets be having some photos blokes:) ;) :P

i'll start the ball rolling with one from twenty years back and another from last summer..

[quote name='ogri' post='398678' date='Feb 3 2009, 10:34 AM']lordy!!!
gruntosaurus rex!!
nice... ;)[/quote]

S&S 124" engine, Baker 6 speed box, Primo belt drive, Progressive air suspension (which means handling isn't bad for an HD).

Fairly 'mild' state of tune for such a big engine - probably around 120 bhp & a similar torque figure. Means it has plenty of grunt without being too temperamental :P

[quote name='High score' post='398702' date='Feb 3 2009, 10:56 AM']Jesus, must be a 'Blues' engine - 60 bpm :huh:

Love it.........want it............now where did I leave my total loss lubricated Triumph Bonnie.......... :)

Obviously your baby, which is cool, but Harley extras not cheap so what has it cost you over the years?[/quote]

I'm afraid almost all of the work was carried out before I took ownership ;)

Previous owner spent a frightening £24K in total (including the cost of the original bike). Over £13K was the engine & gearbox build alone!

Poor guy did all the work including a complete nut 'n' bolt rebuild, rode it about 5K miles and was diagnosed with a long term back problem which means he can't ride bikes with such a raked out shape. He traded wwith me for my, more conventional, riding position HD. He's put pretty much the same engine set up in that one as well now :P

Cost me about £12.5K I guess - bit complicated as it was a PX against my old HD.

[quote name='molan' post='398709' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:05 AM']I'm afraid almost all of the work was carried out before I took ownership ;)

Previous owner spent a frightening £24K in total (including the cost of the original bike). Over £13K was the engine & gearbox build alone!

Poor guy did all the work including a complete nut 'n' bolt rebuild, rode it about 5K miles and was diagnosed with a long term back problem which means he can't ride bikes with such a raked out shape. He traded wwith me for my, more conventional, riding position HD. He's put pretty much the same engine set up in that one as well now :P

Cost me about £12.5K I guess - bit complicated as it was a PX against my old HD.[/quote]

Trouble with making something your baby like the last owner is that you lose track of what you are trying to do (and spending) and it becomes a project like the Forth Rail Bridge (ie you never stop) and lose sight of costs!!

Anyway, fab machine and something you are likely to have a very very long time..........