Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

I've been listening to this on repeat for about a week when in the car, deceptively easy bass line but full of subtle little changes whilst still maintaining a massive groove. Carlton and Family Man, no one would have heard of Bob Marley if it weren't for them, one of the greatest rhythm sections of all time and all genres.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I've been listening to this on repeat for about a week when in the car, deceptively easy bass line but full of subtle little changes whilst still maintaining a massive groove. Carlton and Family Man, no one would have heard of Bob Marley if it weren't for them, one of the greatest rhythm sections of all time and all genres.

The whole album is one of my favourites, along with Kaya and Uprising, I bought them all when they came out and I’ve still got them 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

😎

I’ve heard a bit of Neville King but not much , I’ll have to check him out, looks like he played quite a few places, Im sure I went to the the Bali Hai back in the day , can’t quite remember 

Neville King spent:
13 years every Fri & Weds Resident at Shepard's Community Centre Brixton,  
4 years every Tus & Thurs Resident at RACS Tooting, 
5 years every Saturday Resident Bali Hai Streatham
5 years every Sunday afternoon at Clouds Brixton  
6 years every Sunday evening Resident at Peckham Settlement,
21 years After 12am Mon to Fri Villa Road and various other Shoo-been in Brixton,

Aah that was Neville King - this one is Neville Enchanter Sound -  different sound completely, might have been Dalston based owned/run by Neville Bryce, sadly now dead - the guy in the beret is Junior, who worked with the sound for years, think the guy on decks is Justin, Neville is not in shot (not unusual). Anyone can give me any more info, please feel free...............

😎

Edited by taunton-hobbit
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Aah that was Neville King - this one is Neville Enchanter Sound -  different sound completely, might have been Dalston based but sadly now dead - the guy in the beret is Junior, who worked with the sound for years, think the guy on decks is Justin, Neville is not in shot (not unusual). Anyone can give me any more info, please feel free...............

😎

Ah, nice one thanks 

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Neville Enchanter Sound

I went through reggaepedia and sound system list and not much detailed info, but came across an interview here with Ras Muffet 

Ras Muffet has been a strong name for years with his Bristol-based Roots Injection Sound System. He was born to Jamaican parents in Bristol in the late 1950s and moved to Catford in Southeast London at the age of twelve, where he followed his cousin Neville The Musical Enchanter and started his sound system journey as a boxboy for Jah Shaka in the early 70s.

Eventually, Muffet relocated in Bristol, where he now runs his studio and sound system and cuts loads of dubs on a regular basis

• Thanks 1