Why become a member? ×

need some help!!

jonnyenglish358

which of these would be best for general practice and small gigs??

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANEY-BASS-GUITAR-AMP-AMPLIFIER-HEAD-AND-CAB-R4H-R115_W0QQitemZ190282537565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item190282537565&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANEY-BASS-GUITAR-AM...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190281575395&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120366164172"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120366164172[/url]

thanks alot!!!

jon

Edited by jonnyenglish358

If it were me I'd be going for the Trace as well.

Mind you, as it stands the G300 and hartke combo seems like decent value. I've not tried it (though I have used a DP300 which I think preceded it), but your not really going to know how it sounds until you use it in anger. Having said that I can't really see you losing out if you decide you don't like it (assuming it's in good working order).

yea i like the trace but the one i was watching yesterday went well over my budget so im going to assume this is gonna go for similar. so i will probably go for the g300 hartke combo!! does anyone roughly no how old these are??

[quote name='Musky' post='392209' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:16 PM']If it were me I'd be going for the Trace as well.

Mind you, as it stands the G300 and hartke combo seems like decent value. I've not tried it (though I have used a DP300 which I think preceded it), but your not really going to know how it sounds until you use it in anger. Having said that I can't really see you losing out if you decide you don't like it (assuming it's in good working order).[/quote]

[quote name='Musky' post='392226' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:36 PM']If it did come after the DP range (which I think it is) that would make it early nineties.[/quote]

ok cool! will this mean that its likely to break soon?? or will sound crap??

btw can i just say that i only joined this site today and its been really useful!! what a great community!!

No, it should be fine as long as it's been stored somewhere dry. Like I said, I've got a Laney DP300 which is older and it hasn't missed a beat since I got it. I loaned it to a mate for a while when he started up a rehearsal studio and it came through unscathed, so reliability wasn't an issue with that particular model.

Soundwise the DP300 is naturally clean sounding - certainly not a great amp but not crap either. How the G300 compares I wouldn't know.

[quote name='Musky' post='392254' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:03 PM']No, it should be fine as long as it's been stored somewhere dry. Like I said, I've got a Laney DP300 which is older and it hasn't missed a beat since I got it. I loaned it to a mate for a while when he started up a rehearsal studio and it came through unscathed, so reliability wasn't an issue with that particular model.

Soundwise the DP300 is naturally clean sounding - certainly not a great amp but not crap either. How the G300 compares I wouldn't know.[/quote]

excellent think il bid on that then!!

you've all been wonderful cheers!!

[quote name='jonnyenglish358' post='392516' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:51 AM']well just thought it let you no that i got the laney hartke combo for £150 dont no if this is good but should hopefully do the job!![/quote]

Sounds reasonable - you shouldn't make a loss on that if you sell the amp and cab separately, especially if you sell locally. You could even turn a profit. ;)

Don't worry about the volume - it'll certainly be up to it. Don't forget to let us know how it sounds when you get hold of it.

well i picked it up last nite and it sounds really clean and its nice and loud!! gotta test it against my sisters drum kit to see how they compare!! I'm going to try and work out how to adjust the sustain (if you can do that im a noob). Condition wise the carpet material round the cab is bobbly in places and has got a small (un-noticeable) rip at the bottom might try gluing it down if that works?? The amp (although old) in really good condition and works fine!!

So i think i got a bargain!! the guy i bought it off was really nice and looked like he new his beans as there was gear and guitars everywhere lol.

still now i just gotta learn the songs for the gig!!

thanks

jon

p.s. if this doesnt sond right its cos i only started playing bass like 5 months ago lol

[quote name='jonnyenglish358' post='393675' date='Jan 28 2009, 02:00 PM']I'm going to try and work out how to adjust the sustain (if you can do that im a noob).[/quote]

If you aren't using overdrive then you can't do that like you can on a guitar amp. But what you can do is turn the amp up more and pluck more softly, that'll give you more sustain. Generally on bass you don't need much sustain and often things will groove better if your notes have relatively quick decay, it makes the bassline pulse more - try resting your palm on the bridge saddles to slighltly muffle the strings and then pluck with your thumb (or a pick). You can get a very cool vibe by sometimes even muting so hard that when you play a low note at the same time as the kick drum you can barely tell the bass guitar and the bass drum from one another. Experiment!

Alex