Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez SR2600 or used SR4500

Silky999

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I thought all the premiums came with the semi hard case? Always worth checking.

I bought my 2600 from Andertons which is where the OP is looking to purchase from. It was also a great New Years price & I assumed the case was included, but it wasn’t..... Fortunately managed to source one on here afterwards which was lucky. 

Oh well worth checking then - I just assumed they would all come with them. Maybe they separate them and sell them on their own. Mine was in a sale last year but came with the case, so I have two of them. I don't use them, but would feel cheated if they weren't on top of my wardrobe! The premiums come with a hard case, those are in the loft.

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, if andertons are selling without the case, it isn't a discount because you aren't getting the case, it is close to the same price as I paid last year (slightly more)

Agreed. Plus I can't see the "half price" SR1820 on Andertons site that Silky999 refers to? I'm not sure Andertons has an SR2600 in stock to A/B either? Personally I prefer the finish and black hardware of the SR1700 and would ask about a possible (better) deal there as well.

Edited by Sparky Mark

They have the 1820 at £799 as well as some of the other 1xxx series premiums. Bear in mind that the difference in any of the 1xxx series is purely down to finish, they work out good deals. The 2xxx series are supposed to be better things, although the sale price of the 260x is more than the 2605 that I got last year, so that is just the normal price, and note that the price they have crossed out on the 2600 is more than the non crossed out price of the 2605 (at no point would the 4 string have been more expensive than the 5 string).

Obviously finishes are personal, but there is nothing quite as stunning as the 260x, so it is down to what you want.

As always, try them and see what works.

On 27/12/2019 at 16:17, Silky999 said:

So I went with the SR1820 as I couldn’t justify the extra £500 for the 2600. Especially when they both have same pickups, bridge and eq. 

thanks to everyone for all the advice. 

So what do you think of your SR1820?

Absolutely love it! I’ve put some D’addario balanced tensions on it and I’m busy breaking those in. Lots of highs and punchy so dialling mids and highs back until the strings wear a little. The Nords are amazing!

One thing I am finding is that going from playing tapes to rounds is the amount of string noise! I love the sound of the rounds and growl but the string noise has caused a bit of a confidence knock. I’ve tried with tapes and chromes on the 1820 but don’t like the tone plus I have my SR800 wearing tapes for the more mellow stuff.

Ive tried dialling out some highs and I’m now working on my muting and fretting technique but It still shocked me how much string noise there was. What didn’t help was shifting cabs around in the music room so that it is now at head height when I’m sat practising highlighting fretting noise etc lol

The Ibby EQ with the Nordstrand big singles is an extremely powerful combination and the amount of top end that can be added is huge.

If your cabs have tweeters I would recommend you turn them down/off to reduce the very high frequency fretting hand string noise. Once your new strings are played in more they should become smoother (give them a rub with a clean cotton cloth) and lose a bit of that brittle top end. I guess oil from fingers also lubricates them a bit too. Use the SR' onboard EQ to cut the treble whilst the strings are settling down.

I know that when we practice alone it's great to have a reaĺly clear full range tone but in a band situation a lot of that top end isn't required. It's interesting to hear the tone used for many of the greatest basslines without the other instrument tracks; rarely do they contain much top end at all.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

The Ibby EQ with the Nordstrand big singles is an extremely powerful combination and the amount of top end that can be added is huge.

If your cabs have tweeters I would recommend you turn them down/off to reduce the very high frequency fretting hand string noise. Once your new strings are played in more they should become smoother (give them a rub with a clean cotton cloth) and lose a bit of that brittle top end. I guess oil from fingers also lubricates them a bit too. Use the SR' onboard EQ to cut the treble whilst the strings are settling down.

I know that when we practice alone it's great to have a reaĺly clear full range tone but in a band situation a lot of that top end isn't required. It's interesting to hear the tone used for many of the greatest basslines without the other instrument tracks; rarely do they contain much top end at all.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll give all those suggestions a go. I think you’re right about playing alone allows you to hear all those noises that you wouldn’t hear at band practice or gig. I’ve got band practice tomorrow so it will give me an opportunity to put the 1820 through it’s paces.
I’m playing through a TC electronic BH500 head and one of their BC210 cabs in the music room. I will try winding back on the head and bass eq. I’ve double checked the setup today especially the pup height. I can’t really dial the master on the 500 above 2 or the house rattles lol. For gigs, I use 2x12 and 4x10 with the head.

thanks again for your advice

Edited by Silky999