Why become a member? ×

Gretsch Thunder Jet

Rayman

A few iffy pics of my new aquisition via my phone, as my camera seems to be Kaput:

It came with short scale flats fitted, which on these basses are too short as the silks come back over the nut, damping the strings. So, it's now fitted with a set of [i]medium[/i] scale Pro Steel rounds, and [i]man[/i], what a difference, it's come to life.

BIG thump from the TV Jones neck pup, somewhat like my old Thunderbird I'd say, and when it's flicked over to the bridge pup the output is lower, and played over the pup itself you get a fabulous funk tone.

It's [i]very[/i] comfy to play, light because of the hollow chambers, and sits nice around lower waist height.

Can't wait for Saturday's gig, and I don't think the jazz will see a lot of action this week, except for the slappy poppy stuff, the Gretsch kind of falls down there, but that's not what it's designed to do let face it, but then I'm not much of a slapper anyway.

Big thanks to Vern for letting me have it from him, top chap.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='388567' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:34 PM']Awesome, what does the pot on the horn do?[/quote]

That's the master volume. There's individual pup volumes and a tone pot, three way pup switch of course and a master volume.

[quote name='tombboy' post='388589' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:56 PM']Please let me have first dibs if you ever decide to move this on Rayman............. :P[/quote]

;) No problem mate. Many of the regulars on here know how many basses I go through. Will this one be a keeper?? Who knows? It's certainly the most [i]valuable[/i] bass I've had, and probably the most unusual. Personally I could just sit and look at it all day.