Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz vs Fender Jazz 2008 version

dollarone

Hi there - I'm looking at buying a Mexican Fender Jazz Bass - and as you might know, Fender released a new version last year (model number 014-6200) of the classic jazz bass (model number 013-6200).

Now, both versions are still available from different sources, with the newer one being £80-£90 more expensive. I've browsed and chatted to the chaps at the bass cellar (in London) but am still not 100% sure what the difference between the two basses are. If anyone could pinpoint exactly what the additions are, I'd appreciate it!

Also, which one would you recommend (and why)? FWIW the "old" version is ~£370 and the new ~£460...

well that's very interesting! if that's the case I'll just go with the old version (the "upgrade" which seems to have the same pickups anyway).

Any other opinions/facts out there? ;)

ps. what do you mean with your sig: "Leo Fender got it right 1st time....or at least by the second time with the Jazz."?

[quote name='dollarone' post='387468' date='Jan 21 2009, 01:25 PM']well that's very interesting! if that's the case I'll just go with the old version (the "upgrade" which seems to have the same pickups anyway).

Any other opinions/facts out there? ;)

ps. what do you mean with your sig: "Leo Fender got it right 1st time....or at least by the second time with the Jazz."?[/quote]

His first bass made was the P-bass

His 2nd being the Jazz Bass.

His first bass made was the P-bass

His 2nd being the Jazz Bass.

That's right. Leo Fender got the the electric bass pretty much defined in 1950 with the Precision, then he fiddled with it a bit in 1957 to produce the one still made today, and then refined that in 59-60 to produce the near perfect Jazz!

Oh and then the Musicman Stingray and the G&L L2000?

Also the body cavities are shielded on the newer model, it's got improved (sic) pickups, and the bridge is supposedly the same that comes with CIJ basses, but having never played a CIJ Fender, i can't corroborate this. I had one of the previous models and it was ok, i think maybe the upgrades might make it a better instrument - but you'd need to A/B them i think to see if there's a noticeable difference. AFAIK Fender have tightened their QC since the last batch of Standards were released - but i could be wrong! *ducks*

Edited by rasher80

[quote name='dollarone' post='388356' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:37 AM']also is the maple fretboard nicer/better than rosewood, or is this merely an aesthetic preference?

I've also heard that the QC has been improved in recent years.[/quote]

There's meant to be a brighter sound from a maple fretboard although I personally haven't noticed it much. As for aesthetics I prefer the look of a maple board on a jazz bass, especially with a sunburst body. ;)

[quote name='dollarone' post='388393' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:03 PM']I'm looking at [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Standard-Jazz-Bass-(2009-Upgrade)---Black-MN~ID~10865.asp"]these guys[/url]...[/quote]

Right, I see,....they look really nice too actually. Better pickgaurd, tinted neck, 70's logo and it may not buzz like the older Mexican Jazz basses. As with Fender though, upgrades seem to be very subtle.

It depends really on whether you like the bass - the majority of the "upgrades" are purely aesthetic - i've had a look at a new one and an old one together - i think the parchment pickguard and tinted neck, along with the 70s styled logo just give it a classier look - The shielding is also going to be a welcome addition - it just depends whether this and the promise of improved pick-ups is worth the extra 80 quid. Personally i thought the 09 model was a better bass all round.

People scoff at the MIM Fenders but i'm on my 3rd (one was a Tele) and i couldn't fault them in any way. If the exchange rate wasn't so bad i'd urge you to go CIJ for the extra quality but it's gone beyond stupid and there's no telling how long it might be before it comes down.

Tis an interesting question. The only other model on Fender's parts list with a serial starting 014 is the the Classic Baja Player Telecaster, which a sort of Mexican custom shop model. Which could mean a few things I suppose.

For what it's worth the difference between standard upgrades and standards is they've they've got US electrics.

If I was in the market for a new MIM jazz, I'd pay the extra £80.

In fact - I'd see if I could find a 2008 70's reissue - but then that's me.

[quote name='dollarone' post='388356' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:37 AM']also is the maple fretboard nicer/better than rosewood, or is this merely an aesthetic preference?[/quote]

I find maple generally feels less hard than rosewood. But then how a maple board feels is as much to do with the lacquer than anything else.

You don't put lacquer on a rosewood board as it's hard enough anyway.

[quote name='rasher80' post='388181' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:10 AM']Also the body cavities are shielded on the newer model[/quote]
And they are shielded very well I might add.

I had a go at a couple of Jazzes at my dealer recently, among them two standard 2009 MIMs. These were dead quiet whereas all of the other basses hummed audibly (room full of neon lights) - even the 2009 MIA Fenders. ;)
I really liked the sound of those MIMs as well, moreso than the 70s Classic. Although my favourites are the new US Fenders, these were fantastic. If only they came with an equally good shielding job...

[quote name='bigjohn' post='388439' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:45 PM']Tis an interesting question. The only other model on Fender's parts list with a serial starting 014 is the the Classic Baja Player Telecaster, which a sort of Mexican custom shop model. Which could mean a few things I suppose.[/quote]
what kind of things?

[quote]For what it's worth the difference between standard upgrades and standards is they've they've got US electrics. If I was in the market for a new MIM jazz, I'd pay the extra £80.[/quote]
Ok, noted.

[quote]In fact - I'd see if I could find a 2008 70's reissue - but then that's me.[/quote]

like [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-70s-Jazz-Bass---Black~ID~9700.asp"]this one[/url]?

what's the difference between the 70s reissue and the [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Standard-Jazz-Bass-(2009-Upgrade)---Black-MN~ID~10865.asp"]2009 standard [/url], or for that matter, the [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender---Classic-Series---60s-Jazz-Bass~ID~4151.asp"]60s classic[/url]?

Also, which one would you go for - and why?;)

Again thanks for all your input! It is very much appreciated!

The 60s and 70s classic models are re-issues of two of Fender's most recognisable Jazz basses (the '62 and the '75), but at an affordable MIM price (the CIJ models are pushing a grand now with the strength of the Yen).

I've never played either of the classic models, but you can see some differences in aesthetics, specifically the inclusion of the bound fingerboard and block inlays on the 70s model. The CIJ '62 re-issue also had the ground wire running from the bridge pickup to the bridge, but i can't see it on the 60s classic. I think the pickups were spaced slightly differently between the 60s and 70s models too, and a major biggie on the 62 CIJs was truss rod access; but apart from that, there aren't any other differences that i can think of. All the basses have an alder body so there's probably not a great deal of difference sound-wise either. The inclusion of the shielded cavities on the 2009 is a big plus though, and it's sadly lacking on the other two.

Personally, i love the look of the 70s ones and if it was me, i'd buy one and just get someone to do a shielding job on it. But i'm lefty so i've settled for a Standard ;)

Edited by rasher80