Why become a member? ×

DIY stompbox lettering?

Al Heeley

Acid etch sounds inpractical for me - I need a screen, acid, etch resist (tranfers?)
Vinyl letters - interesting, but on-line sites concentrate on shop signage, big letters, expensive one-offs, how well will they stick to a die-cast metal box? How much wear and tear can they take from being trodden on or bounced around in a gig bag?
Special ink-jet decal paper - used before. Needs a good coat of lacquer to seal afterwards in order to protect from wear and tear. Not always good adhesion to metal.
What about Letraset type letters + varnish overspray?
Be interested to hear more about this baking of the letters to fix them to the metal case. What sort of computer printout could be baked on to metal?
Sharpie? Last resort for that home-made vibe.

[quote name='umph' post='387355' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:00 PM']paint it on then apply enamel[/quote]Err, how exactly do I go about applying enamel?
The golden rule is: Is it something likely to stress out the wife if I do it in the kitchen?

Toasted: It's for my mark II A/B/Y box, also for better truss rod cover lettering for the Lemonbacker. I think the 'bake in oven' step is divorce-territory.
Brother labelling machine - wife has a Dymo one I'm allowed to use, its ok but it looks lame. Will explore the vinyl lettering + acrylic craft varnish spray route as the most feasible.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='387436' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:58 PM']Err, how exactly do I go about applying enamel?
The golden rule is: Is it something likely to stress out the wife if I do it in the kitchen?

Toasted: It's for my mark II A/B/Y box, also for better truss rod cover lettering for the Lemonbacker. I think the 'bake in oven' step is divorce-territory.[/quote]

what are you, a man or a mouse? ;)

Squeeek squeeek.................actually she's pretty tolerant to my guitar dependance but I do have 18 instruments clogging up differnt rooms of the house plus a bass and flying V in process of being built plus a vintage tele restoration project for our drummer, and 4 effects boxes on the go, so I don't want to push my luck too much....;)

Edited by Al Heeley

Craft shop such as Hobbycraft sells stick on letters of all varieties (adhesive back, rub on, etc) or you could get either rubber alphabet stamps and an ink pad or a vellum pen, embossing powder & a heat gun (or hot hairdryer), that way you can put what you want with embossed letters.

1) Home build TubeScreamer [url="http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1272.0"]http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1272.0[/url]
2) DOD 250- type overdrive
3) Basic A/b passive box
4) A/B/Y passive box with LED indicators
5) A circuit to turn plasticine into pure uranium so that one day I might rule the world (-note: this one is still at the conceptual design stage)

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='387436' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:58 PM'](...)I think the 'bake in oven' step is divorce-territory.(...)[/quote]

Unless you use a dedicated oven for just non-food purposes, it is also step in the danger-zone.

Some of the chemicals used in varnishes stick inside the oven. When the oven is heated again they are released.

So here are the options:
1) Buy a new dedicated oven to bake a stomp box case, and start divorce proceedings
2) Learn how to enamel
3) learn how to screen print
4) buy some ink-jet decal paper from Crafty Paper for £3.95 and spray it with lacquer.
5) Find an online vinyl lettering company

I'm thinking I'm formulating a plan.