Why become a member? ×

08 USA Jazz Vs the earlier S1 Switching USA Jazz

Musicman20

On a Jazz, the S1 pups the pups in series, just like a p-pup (but streched over a bigger distance and all the strings), but you lose the fun of having the varied sound from the traditional jazz setup. So, it sounds similar to a P-Bass. Hurrah.

Personally, if you mate thinks a jazz sounds crap without it, he should sell it on and buy a P, as he'll probably like that even more.

The S1 switch thing again....if you want P bass, then buy a P bass. I don't think my S1 makes my Jazz sound like a P at all. I love both J and P basses....this of course is just my humble opinion, no offence intended whatsoever ;)

Thats what I thought. I have a wicked Jap 10 year old Fender P Bass and its thuddy and bright at the same time.

I dont want a P bass sound from a Jazz....I want that bright snappy growl...does the S1 increase this normal Jazz tone? Or is it just copying a Pbass in a Jazz?!

CHeers...thanks for clarifying

[quote name='Jase' post='385293' date='Jan 19 2009, 07:35 PM']The S1 switch thing again....if you want P bass, then buy a P bass. I don't think my S1 makes my Jazz sound like a P at all. I love both J and P basses....this of course is just my humble opinion, no offence intended whatsoever ;)[/quote]

I agree it doesn't really sound like a P. Mine used to sound like a fatter Jazz. Personally I really liked the sound, and I'm surprised Fender dropped the S1 on the Jazz (it was a waste of time on the Precision!)

[quote name='simon1964' post='385332' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:16 PM'](it was a waste of time on the Precision!)[/quote]

Exactly! There seems to be no point in them at all, a brighter snappier sound like a Jazz on a P bass? A P bass sound on a Jazz? WHY? It drives me mad! They got it right first time.....two different models...buy one of each, problem sorted. I'm glad they got shot of it, all that's needed now is for the neck pick up on a Jazz to be banned and the bridge pickup to be a souped up to the size of a fat hot humbucker. Still love a Fender though ;)

The two guitarists always referred to the S-1 on my Jazz as the loud button. ;)

When it's off, it definitely sounds like a Jazz. When it's on, the bass has more thump.

But i have too many Jazzes, so this baby is going. Check out about page 6 in the basses for sale thread, posted Jan 13.

I have not bumped it up yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Leowasright' post='385682' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:48 AM']The two guitarists always referred to the S-1 on my Jazz as the loud button. ;)

When it's off, it definitely sounds like a Jazz. When it's on, the bass has more thump.[/quote]

Thats how I would describe it - not really a P sound.