Why become a member? ×

Fender HMV String-thru-body bridge as replacement bridge

88msDelay

Hello to all,

Would anyone know if the newer Fender High Mass Vintage (HMV) string-thru-body bridge installed in the 2008 American Standard P-Bass & J-Bass could be used as drop-in replacement for the older string-thru-body bridge installed in the American Deluxe J-Bass? Bridges in these models all have 3-screws. I have an American Deluxe and would like to make this change. The issues I'm struggling with are:

1) The American Deluxe, though having the same length scale (34" or 863.6 mm), has 22 frets while the American Standard only has 20 frets

2) How will replacing the Deluxe's stock bridge affect the scale and subsequently the intonation?

I like the newer HMV bridge for it's heavier mass & presumably more stable qualities - supposedly helps with sustain. The saddles also look more durable & finely adjustable.

Greatly appreciate if anyone could offer any help. Thanks to all!

[quote name='88msDelay' post='384597' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:07 AM']Hello to all,

Would anyone know if the newer Fender High Mass Vintage (HMV) string-thru-body bridge installed in the 2008 American Standard P-Bass & J-Bass could be used as drop-in replacement for the older string-thru-body bridge installed in the American Deluxe J-Bass? Bridges in these models all have 3-screws. I have an American Deluxe and would like to make this change. The issues I'm struggling with are:

1) The American Deluxe, though having the same length scale (34" or 863.6 mm), has 22 frets while the American Standard only has 20 frets

2) How will replacing the Deluxe's stock bridge affect the scale and subsequently the intonation?

I like the newer HMV bridge for it's heavier mass & presumably more stable qualities - supposedly helps with sustain. The saddles also look more durable & finely adjustable.

Greatly appreciate if anyone could offer any help. Thanks to all![/quote]

First off, number of frets is irrelevant when considering scale length. As long as it's put in the same place (relative to scale length) as the old bridge and the new bridge provides a similar amount of adjustment then you'll be fine. As to whether it's a direct replacement for the old bridge, I couldn't say for sure. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this authoratively.

[quote name='neepheid' post='384599' date='Jan 18 2009, 05:11 PM']First off, number of frets is irrelevant when considering scale length. As long as it's put in the same place (relative to scale length) as the old bridge and the new bridge provides a similar amount of adjustment then you'll be fine. As to whether it's a direct replacement for the old bridge, I couldn't say for sure. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this authoratively.[/quote]

Thanks for the info - I believe the HMV saddles would offer an adequate adjustment range to get the right intonation.

[quote name='Rickster' post='389077' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:18 PM']The Fender HMV (High Mass Vintage) and the American Deluxe both mount with three screws and the hole allighnment appears to be the same.[/quote]

I just ordered a replacement HMV bridge for my Deluxe. I will let all know if it swaps on OK which I think it will. Thanks for everyone's help!

[quote name='88msDelay' post='390629' date='Jan 24 2009, 07:53 PM']I just ordered a replacement HMV bridge for my Deluxe. I will let all know if it swaps on OK which I think it will. Thanks for everyone's help![/quote]

Hi mate, where did you order it from and what was the damage?
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='390632' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:59 AM']Hi mate, where did you order it from and what was the damage?
Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris - I actually got it "Buy It Now" on eBay for $79. At the time, there was another one that sat at $20. I didn't want to wait for that auction to end so I grudgingly BIT on the first. The other ended up selling for $140 - you just never know. The seller was "reliablefender" whom I believe sells on eBay for a store called "STRATosphere. I suppose you could try both places. I'm to get it in the post the next few days. I will let all know how it turns out. Cheers!

[quote name='88msDelay' post='390644' date='Jan 24 2009, 08:33 PM']Hi Chris - I actually got it "Buy It Now" on eBay for $79. At the time, there was another one that sat at $20. I didn't want to wait for that auction to end so I grudgingly BIT on the first. The other ended up selling for $140 - you just never know. The seller was "reliablefender" whom I believe sells on eBay for a store called "STRATosphere. I suppose you could try both places. I'm to get it in the post the next few days. I will let all know how it turns out. Cheers![/quote]

Many thanks, hope it all fits (sure it will). I'm chasing one for my Telebass, I'll keep you posted also ;)
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris - Hope you peek at this soon enough - below is a HMV bridge on U.S.A eBay that may interest you.

Item number: 190282027189

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Fender-American-Standard-P-Jazz-Bass-BRIDGE_W0QQitemZ190282027189QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item190282027189&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Fender-American-S...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

[quote name='88msDelay' post='393356' date='Jan 28 2009, 03:04 AM']Hi Chris - Hope you peek at this soon enough - below is a HMV bridge on U.S.A eBay that may interest you.

Item number: 190282027189

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Fender-American-Standard-P-Jazz-Bass-BRIDGE_W0QQitemZ190282027189QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item190282027189&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Fender-American-S...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url][/quote]

Many thanks 88msDelay, I managed to get one in the UK and it arrived yesterday (which was a result), so I'll be fitting it today. I'll keep you posted
Chris

Just installed mine and the bass plate is considerably thicker than the original, meaning the saddles are much higher. I had to make significant adjustments to the neck angle as a result (praise be to the micro-tilt feature on old Fenders). Would have been the same with a Badass so no big issue. Even uplugged it sounds better already ;)

Also got mine but have not had a chance to fit it. Glad it worked out for you, Chris!

Was your plate a 2-piece deal? I was surprised to see that mine had the piece for top stringing screwed-on to the main plate. All along I thought they were cast in 1-piece. Never noticed that when I was checking them out at the shops.

Will also be on the lookout for a V-version for ~tl.

Later... ;)