Why become a member? ×

Good or Bad time to sell on eBay ?

BigBeatNut

Thanks for that advice re keywords.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='385619' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:45 PM']If it was mine (note this is something I don't advise anyone else to do - for my own protection ;)) it would start at 99p, no reserve. It would find its level.[/quote]
mmm ... I think I'll pass on that ... if there are no willing collector type buyers out there when I list, somebody will get it for £20 or something silly. Would work for things that are being sold all the time (pedals, strings, 3-10 yr old fenders etc).

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='385630' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:02 AM']mmm ... I think I'll pass on that ... if there are no willing collector type buyers out there when I list, somebody will get it for £20 or something silly. Would work for things that are being sold all the time (pedals, strings, 3-10 yr old fenders etc).[/quote]

In my experience the converse is true.

I find that with things that are common there are plenty of them out there (obviously!) and multiple auction going on at the same time. On the other hand there are plenty of people looking for things that are aren't so common that have set up searches to look for keywords. I've made the mistake more than once of bidding higher than was really sensible on items that I'd spotted when they were cheap as chips. ;)

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='385765' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:29 AM']bought an xbox 360 game in Game for 24.99 new. didn't like and i just sold it on ebay for 25 quid![/quote]

Friend of mine bought a pair of cycling shorts for £6 or so from Aldi, tried them, didn't like them, sold them on Ebay for somewhat more than £6.

The many cyclists on Basschat know that, like the kilt, nothing is worn beneath cycling shorts ;-)

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='385438' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:36 PM']Well ... I know the charges are a pain. Seems most of the issues that site raises, though, are about what happens when you're a seller who accepts payment by paypal ... and then there's an ebay dispute.
Have you ever experienced these problems ?
Slightly worrying is the link at the bottom of each forum entry "CLICK HERE FOR [i][u][b]OUR[/b][/u][/i] PAYPAL ALTERNATIVE" which links to a paypal competitor. If I was uncharitable I might conclude that the whole thing has been set up by the competitor to try and defame paypal.[/quote]

The only time I've had a problem with Paypal was when I tried to claim on their guarantee. That was an eye opener, although fortunately the amount involved wasn't very big.

As far as paypalsucks is concerned, it may have been set up by a competitor. I don't know (it's certainly financed by a competitor). Even if it were, its size would attract a goodly proportion of genuine gripes. So I wouldn't discount everything on there - you just have to make a judgement.

There is plenty of discontent about Paypal all over the web. This one is typical: [url="http://www.thestirrer.co.uk/ec1009061.html"]http://www.thestirrer.co.uk/ec1009061.html[/url]. Put 'paypal account frozen' into Google and you'll get nearly 1.5 million hits.

I'm not on an anti-paypal mission. I'm just saying be careful and consider the possibility of withdrawing your direct debit authority once you have been 'confirmed'.

[quote name='bremen' post='385454' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:49 PM']Also slightly worrying is the fact that when I click on 'Former Paypal Employee #1 clears his conscience & offers help' I get a message from Opera that reads:

'The page you are trying to open has been reported as fraudulent. It will likely attempt to trick you into sharing personal or financial information. Opera Software strongly discourages visiting this page.'[/quote]

There is an official warning on the site itself about pages like that. The site is a real shambles.