Why become a member? ×

Centre + adapter cable for a Big Muff?

lemmywinks

Hi

I have a Russian Big Muff which i have adapted to use a boss style adapter (using the battery clip).
I would like to power this from my pedalboard but it's centre positive, so i was wondering if one of these would do the trick:
[url="http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,29/category_id,3/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,206/"]http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,206/[/url]

However, i read this from another site:
"In short, a positive ground (PNP) design can't share its power with negative ground designs - that will short out the power supply. This is because the pedals share a common signal ground - through the patch cable - which in both pedals is connected to the chassis. The chassis is also connected to the power's ground. In a "regular" pedal the adapter/battery negative goes to this common ground, but in a PNP pedal the adapter positive is connected to the same ground. If you combine them, the result is of course a short-circuit in the power supply. The solution is to run the PNP pedal(s) from a separate supply, or to use batteries with them"

I don't really understand anything too technical like this (i am by admission quite simple!), so would the Diago adapter solve my problem?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Steve

EDIT: I also saw a few threads on other forums saying that you can just reverse the wires on the DC jack to make it centre negative. Is this safe at all?
Ta

Edited by lemmywinks

It doesn't come with a DC jack on it, just battery, which is why i thought wiring it up for a centre -ve adapter would be ok. i understand that most pedals ground through the sleeve which is usually the +ive.

I'm asking cos after i connected it up to work off my adapter i sent it to the repair shop to have the pots looked at (they were crackling), paid £15 and took it home. Didn't work. Took it back and collected it Saturday and was told it was £30 as i'd blown the transistors (the repair guy had taken it upon himself to rewire it "correctly"), so when i connected it up it blew

Just want to know if i'm in the wrong really, i took advice from other forums and just switched the wires around. If i'm wrong i'll pay up, if not i'm taking the pedal and getting my initial £15 back as AFAIK he didn't fix the pots!

I wouldn't accept any charge that you didn't agree to in the first place.

Also, you can tell if the trainsistors are blown, there will be scorching on the PCB and the trannie cases will be disfigured.

Finally, I'm sure that the Black Russian Muff has diode protection to stop you killing anything with reversed power.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='385244' date='Jan 19 2009, 06:42 PM']It doesn't come with a DC jack on it, just battery, which is why i thought wiring it up for a centre -ve adapter would be ok. i understand that most pedals ground through the sleeve which is usually the +ive.

I'm asking cos after i connected it up to work off my adapter i sent it to the repair shop to have the pots looked at (they were crackling), paid £15 and took it home. Didn't work. Took it back and collected it Saturday and was told it was £30 as i'd blown the transistors (the repair guy had taken it upon himself to rewire it "correctly"), so when i connected it up it blew

Just want to know if i'm in the wrong really, i took advice from other forums and just switched the wires around. If i'm wrong i'll pay up, if not i'm taking the pedal and getting my initial £15 back as AFAIK he didn't fix the pots![/quote]

So he "corrected" it without telling you? and because of that it's now broken?

By the way, wiring it up through the battery clip is fine, there's no reason that shouldn't have worked. Also, +1 to Toasted's post as well.