Why become a member? ×

Niche Strap/Sitting Enquiry

Frank Blank

Seriously I’m pretty dumb sometimes. I play sitting down but the weight (especially of the Godin) is uncomfortable and the new bass (the ACG Harlot) is not as heavy but it is thinner and uncomfortable too, not only that but the ACG, in combination with my lovely belly, sits oddly. “Wear a strap!” Exclaims my musical partner. I considered this but discounted it because I didn’t think people did. Now I’m forgetting that my musical partner knows far more about this stuff than me so I started looking into it online and it appears that most seated players do use a strap, for a plethora of reasons. So, a couple of queries, anyone got any experiences/thoughts on seated playing with a strap? Any recommendations for a good strap bearing in mind that I have a very wide strap when I’m standing playing but although I would like to retain a wide section of strap over the shoulder I think it needs to be slender where it connects with the bass at the front for a sitting strap.

I always use a strap as it is just more comfortable when sitting. Each of my basses has its own strap and I don't change the length when going from standing to sitting. My preferences are comfort strapps - I use the XXL ones on my thunderbirds, and decent suede ones (Levys or similar) colour matched to the body for most of the others.

• Like 2

I always wear a strap while I’m sitting practicing which is set at the same length as when I’m standing, so really my playing position stays the same, also a while ago I picked up my Sandberg without the strap and it slipped off my tracksuit bottoms and broke the jack plug on the lead , luckily the bass didn’t have a mark on it, so now I always remember wear it 🙂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I always wear a strap while I’m sitting practicing which is set at the same length as when I’m standing, so really my playing position stays the same, also a while ago I picked up my Sandberg without the strap and it slipped off my tracksuit bottoms and broke the jack plug on the lead , luckily the bass didn’t have a mark on it, so now I always remember wear it 🙂

A cautionary tale, I don’t play without it now.

• Like 1