Why become a member? ×

Help with getting rid of thud tone

markdavid

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'l be trying out flats at a gig tomorrow night for the first time in 35 yrs. Depending on how it goes will decide whether i remain with them.

To be fair they sound good in rehearsals so i'm expecting same at gig.

Dave

So long as you've been playing them for a while in rehearsals you should be fine.  I made the mistake of changing my fretless to flats a week before a gig and they hadn't settled in, nor had I got used to a totally different feel, so the numbers I used it on were rubbish. I persevered though and haven't taken them off in over ten years.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko said:

So long as you've been playing them for a while in rehearsals you should be fine.  I made the mistake of changing my fretless to flats a week before a gig and they hadn't settled in, nor had I got used to a totally different feel, so the numbers I used it on were rubbish. I persevered though and haven't taken them off in over ten years.  

Cheers @jacko got them on my fretted Sandberg VM4. Been thru x2 6hr rehearsals plus practising 1-2 hrs most days at home approx last month. It did take me a little getting used to them at first as your fingers move so freely on them. Did miss the zing from the rounds i was using but not enough to put me off them. Most songs we play the zing gets lost in the mix anyway.

Dave