Why become a member? ×

New live recordings up

The Funk

On our myspace and facebook pages I've uploaded some live recordings from a gig we did at Bush Hall last October. Just before Christmas we had them mixed by a guy we knew as Barry. After looking him up online we discovered that he's previously worked with The Rolling Stones and Prince!

Anyway, have a listen to what he managed to knock out in a few hours.

All the songs apart from When are from that gig. No overdubs btw - for us live means live!

I'm happy with it overall. We've played better than that and some of the solos (esp. mine) are a bit aimless but it gives a good representation of what we're like live. We're also probably going to get Barry to adjust the mix slightly as some of the levels aren't quite right.

Click on the myspace and facebook logos in my signature to get to the band pages.

Thanks
Syed

Edited by The Funk

I enjoyed it Syed, nice and tight. For personal taste I'd ask him to loosen some of the compression and let the mix breathe a bit more, but I realise that may be the sound you're going for, it's not a complaint.

I hope you don't mind, the comparison, but reminded me a bit of Mother Earth, who were one of my favourite bands in the 90's btw. Their bass player Neil Cocoran is now living in Australia and was playing in a funk band with an old keyboard player of ours last time I heard.

We're playing at your old haunt Jazz After Dark on Saturday night if you're around.

All the best,

Stew (Huge Hands)

Great stuff, but I'd agree on the mix. The first track, the guitar is killing everything else in the mix, and on most the tracks, needs some good low end punch as they are sounding a bit thin, and maybe running through a nice ssl compressor and a bit of analogue tape to give it a bit more of a saturated sound, then they'd sound fab ;)

But if they are live recordings, depending on how many tracks you have it may not be possible.

Very enjoyable and sickeningly accomplished for live.

I listened to a couple of tracks waiting for a bass solo (as advertised), but didn't get to one. Can you point me in the right direction please? Weird bass sound on parts of Acid Rain - is that a bass? What is the effect?

Thanks! The guys are pretty killer musicians.

The bass solo is on Noise Patrol, about half-way through.

The bass sound on Acid Rain [i]is[/i] a bit weird. It was my first gig with a Mu-tron III envelope filter and I kept it on for one song too many 'cos I was having too much fun with it.

EDIT: Sometimes the keyboard player uses a bass synth and doubles what I'm doing. I don't think he does it on Acid Rain though - I'd have to check.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='ziggenpuss' post='389105' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:52 PM']Brilliant, loved it.

'When' is obviously getting the public vote, 1,776 plays!!

Is 'Open Your Eyes And See' one of the tracks that has been mixed? Would love to hear that alongside the others.[/quote]

Thanks! Glad you like it.

[i]When[/i]'s been on there for years now, heh. That demo was recorded back in 2004 in the band that this one formed out of. That's my uninspired guitar solo. I've only kept it on there because the girl I wrote it for still checks the page every now and then and we haven't recorded a new demo of it yet.

[i]Open Your Eyes And See[/i] has been mixed but there wasn't any room on the myspace or facebook pages. I'm quite proud of the funky groove we go into underneath the guitar solo. So, I'll upload it here for a while...

(all rights reserved © 2008)

Edited by The Funk

I may as well add the other tune from the gig that hasn't been put up yet, [i]Alien Nation[/i]. I would stick up our intro tune but I'm not happy with it yet - it has no bloody words apart from "Come on"!

(all rights reserved © 2008)

Edited by The Funk