Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Buying a first Amp + Cab

Starvolt

Now that I've got me a job, I'm now in a better position financially, and I'm thinking about upgrading my amp (got a natty little Ruble 15 jobbie at the mo).

Now this will be the first Amp/Cab I've bought and budget wise, I'm thinking about £350 - 500 or roundabout. I'm not a huge expert on cabs and such, but from making random stabs ("Ooooh, that looks rather good") I was thinking something along the lines of a 2X10 and then a head of some sort.

So, advise away!

Cheers guys!

You can get a lot for that sort of money if you keep your eyes open and check the for sale section on the forum.

I can’t recommend anything as tone is so subjective, but it depends on what you need it for and what you need it to do, and then it’s just down to personal taste. Do you go to many local gigs? – Check out what the bass players are using for their backline and if you hear anything you like then try to find out what it is. You could go to a music shop and play around with a few things, but it’s hard to gage how amps are going to sound at gig level when you’re sitting in a shop and playing them at relatively low levels, and personally I’d try and avoid buying new if I could.

Hope that helps for the time being.

Edited by benwhiteuk

Hi, am in a similar place myself.
I was thinking of the Ashdown mag combo, the one with the two ten inch drivers.
A few people have them on this site and you can also use an extension cab to get the full wattage out of it. The only thing it doesnt have that i would like is a phono in for practising with cd's etc.
I need to go and play one, but ther is no where in town that has one.

have a look the digital village site as tehy seem to have some good prices i think its www.dv27.co.uk (com)

good luck
Matt

[quote name='Machines' post='379010' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:48 PM']Take a trip into Birmingham - it isn't too far from Warwick. You can definitely play a MAG300-210 at PMT ;).[/quote]

Will take a trip there next time I'm over there. It's a more expensive trip though now, what with having to pay more because I'm a) now an adult, ticket wise, and :P the price rises.

Station wise, it's nearish New Street isn't it? I've been to Reverb and Digital Village a few times, but they're closer to Snow Hill.