Why become a member? ×

Why do I want it? I shouldnt want it! aargh..

setekh

well guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle...could use some help

here I was, down at the beach, just minding my own business..when I girl I know comes to me..bla bla bla...and bla bla bla some more (she's a woman..what else could one expect :huh:) in short - she wants to learn how to play bass, and was asking me what I thought of that hello kitty squier. I didnt want to be rude saying it was utter crap, so instead promised to find some info about it. So, looking up the squier website, I came across [url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326608500"]this[/url]. Usually, I overlook basses with a control plate and no pickguard...dont really find them attractive..but, strangely enough, this one speaks to me :)

It was all good..until I realized I had to quit my part-time job a while ago (last semester and the next one will be tough...will have to resort to being another broke student :huh:) and I had my eye on an as-new stingray5 OLP. so here's the tough part - I'm currently bass-less (well, at least until I find a way to replace the jack on my Hohner JJ - it's been threaded into the wood) so, for a (short, hopefully) while it might be my main bass. Now, I know the OLP might be more of an all-round bass than the fretless...but...but... :huh:

I suppose you can easily spot my problem :huh: Any thoughts? :huh:

Well it all depends on the kind of stuff you play, and the kind of sound you want. All I can say is, the Squier is a great little bass, but so's the OLP, which as you say, has more strings to its bow, litterally.

No-one can decide but you, however, if you jump on the Squier VMJ, you won't be sorry, IMO.

MB1. :)

have seen one in the flesh,well made bass,crap set up, was after a fretless, thought um cheap enough,2 days mulling the idea over went back to shop.The bass had gone/sold.Damn somebody else liked it too....Well worth a sniff! GO TRY!

haha well I know stories of people who do OK with just one kidney :) so yeah...2 new basses for me :huh:

in the right situation, I can say I love the sound of a nice fretless with flatwounds...but for a more hard-rock[i]ish[/i] sound, I suppose a more aggressive approach might be the way to go...

right now I'm leaning more towards the original plan (the OLP), but as MB1 pointed out - there's nothing like going out there and trying the squier..I might just be in for a treat :huh:

thanks all for the input :huh:

Edited by setekh

this is a cruel world we live in...now that I had already convinced myself the OLP was the way to go (for now :huh:), our own chrkelly and Darcy started threads praising the fretless...damn you people who have found a good deal and feel the urge to share the findings with the rest of us :)