Why become a member? ×

Help me please!!!

Hoppo75

Hiya folks,

I'm in the process of having an old columbus Jazz copy ripped apart and rebuilt, but I need some help.
In terms of colour, I'd love a kind of metallic white, and when I say metallic, I mean with an extremely subtle shimmer/sparkle. I've been scouring the net to find something but my searches are bearing no fruit. My Guitar Builder friend is talking with his paint supplier early next week, but I thought I'd ask on here first.

Any helpwould be greatly appreciated.

Drew.

Have you tried looking for "pearlescent white" paint ? That seems to be the "in" word when describing a subtle metallic finish. I would have thought that you 'd be able to get that type of thing from custom car paint suppliers but it's not something I've looked fo rbefore.

[quote name='Buzz' post='373712' date='Jan 8 2009, 12:04 AM']Perhaps a silver metallic base coat with white sprayed thinly over it?

Best to get the number of some local car respray shops and give them a ring asking for advice.[/quote]

I once had a Sunn which was pearlescent white. So it does exist.

G.

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='373839' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:54 AM']find a car with the colour you want, get the colour code and then go to halfords and get a tin mixed up :)

These are proper car paints aswel, not some cheap nock off paint :huh:

Jake[/quote]
+1
I was looking for the much the same thing when I re-spayed my Vox guitar – the most subtle I found was a very pale pearlescent cream which is a factory Audi colour you can get in aerosol cans from Halfords, labelled Magnolia (pearlescent) although it’s virtually white. As with all pearlescents / metallics it needs a clear acrylic topcoat too.
For an even funkier finish you can get pots of tiny iridescent flakes in a liquid base from craft shops – brush over a base colour (like white) and top-coat with clear acrylic lacquer.