Why become a member? ×

Dean Pace or Stagg EDB

crez5150

As I cannot justify buying a more expensive model at the moment, just wondered if anyone has compared both of the above models..... I tried the Stagg and wasn't too impressed.... I mean I know it's a cheap EUB but I like the look of the Pace but have not been able to try one yet?

Thoughts?

I've played a Pace Jay & it was pretty nasty. A pupil of mine has just got the Stagg & I was really surprised. It's a really nice and well put together instrument. The only complaint I had was that it was pretty hard to get the body rests to fit. But apart from that I really liked the Stagg. Sounds excellent, too.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='369385' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:13 PM']I've played a Pace Jay & it was pretty nasty. A pupil of mine has just got the Stagg & I was really surprised. It's a really nice and well put together instrument. The only complaint I had was that it was pretty hard to get the body rests to fit. But apart from that I really liked the Stagg. Sounds excellent, too.

Rich.[/quote]

Cheers for that Rich..... I think thats what put me off the stagg.... Those body rests seemed to be sticking out awkwardly.... I tried to push them in further but with no joy.... Was the only one in the shop too... may re-visit it again next week....

From one Essex boy to another - PMT Music in Southend stock a Stagg-a-like called EastCoast or something - it was under £200 when I last looked! And in a range of colours. Of course, if you don't like Staggs, you won't like this, but at least it is £100-odd cheaper.

Eastcoast are the same as Stagg - so if there's a price difference more fool them !

My personal opinion is that the Stagg seems to have more features to it. The Dean to me looks like a cheap bass with the sides cut off, has a bridge that looks like it's from an electric bass and generally just looks cheaper.

I have played a Stagg and it was pretty good - action wasn't quite right but I cold have sorted that out.

[quote name='crez5150' post='369396' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:19 PM']Cheers for that Rich..... I think thats what put me off the stagg.... Those body rests seemed to be sticking out awkwardly.... I tried to push them in further but with no joy.... Was the only one in the shop too... may re-visit it again next week....[/quote]

You don't have to use the body rests. I don't use them on mine.