Why become a member? ×

adding a cab to Markbass Mini CMD121P

project_c

I'm considering ways to upgrade, and i'm trying to work out if adding another cab to the Markbass Mini will improve the overall sound quality, or if it will just add nothing but more volume to the whole thing. I know some people are not too impressed with the speaker that the Mini comes with, would adding another cab improve things, or would it be better just to sell up and go a different route, seperate head / cab etc? I'm looking for a richer and more energetic, 'wider' sound, but as this thing is already loud as hell, volume is not the issue, it's the quality of sound and overall tonality i'd like to improve.

I just added a markbass 151HF cabinet to my CMD102P combo and the results have been much better than expected: It improved low end frequencies incredibly, that helped a lot with my B string. It also improved dinamics, headroom, volume and power. Im extremely happy about this last addition to my rig. Not that the combo was missing much, but before the extra 15" cab it couldnt handle a B string properly.

The 121H is also a good match for this combo, it's a taller box than the mini 12 and will also give you deeper low end, but it's the same width so will look like a better match sitting underneath your combo.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='project_c' post='372363' date='Jan 6 2009, 07:53 PM']cool, thanks for the replies, i'll definately give a few different cabs a go at the weekend, i'm not convinced by the Mini's tonality on its' own but it'll be interesting to see how things sound once there's another speaker attached.[/quote]

I seem to be in the minority in that I really like the Markbass cabs.

If I was really pushed I would choose the CMD121P combo over my LMII and Schroeder 1212L rig although I love the Schroeder sound too and it's super loud and cutting.

I'm just lucky to have two great rigs for smaller and larger gigs and they're both superb.

But I am looking forward to hearing the CMD121P with the mini 121 cab so that I can have two speakers the same size, which I prefer.

Frank