Why become a member? ×

Please post pics of your vintage Fender neck pockets

Beedster

From a few instruments I've seen recently there's huge variation in vintage Fender identification marks, far greater than any of the books would suggest. I'd like to see pics of neck pockets/heels with details of year, board, finish etc (also interested to see whether there are any 70s necks not made by J Torres :) ).
Thanks
Chris

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='366840' date='Dec 31 2008, 08:35 AM']I've got photos of the ones I've had at home somewhere.. I'll dig 'em out and post them later...[/quote]

Hoping you would have Michael, that's going to be one hell of a database!
Chris

I've made a few notes of some of the names I've seen stamped on Fenders on Ebay. Hardly exhaustive but the ones I've noted so far:

Stamp - J. TORRES (neck)
Stamp - G. GARCIA (neck)
Inspection sticker - ? HERNANDEZ (Neck)
Stamp - HERB_G (Neck) (1976)
Stamp - J Amozquito (?) (Neck) (1983)
Stamp - T. CHAMBERS (1969) (1971)
Stamp - CAMPBELL (1973)
Stamp - R. BUSH (1974)
Stamp - SAGE (1975)

• 4 weeks later...

As the OP I was a little slack on getting my pics together!
Some below

'77 Precision (natural)

[attachment=19309:CIMG0376.JPG]

'73 Jazz (originally SB)

[attachment=19310:CIMG0435.JPG]

'73 Tele (no idea about original finish)

[attachment=19311:CIMG0453.JPG]

'69 Jazz (3t sunburst)

[attachment=19312:S3700015.jpg]

[quote name='Leowasright' post='393721' date='Jan 28 2009, 02:57 PM']Now I know a bit about this subject, and also an awful lot about 1st century AD Roman military equipment, but this is train spotting! :P

Spotters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)[/quote]
Fair point, but having several times been confronted by alleged '60s or '70s Fenders with unusual stamps or writing in the pocket, thought it might be a good idea to get a bit of a database here so that if anyone else is in the same boat they'll be able to reassure themselves that either the same stamp/writing has appeared on genuine instruments or the bass in question might not be all it appears to be.
I'm off down to the station as the 3.45 is due ;)

You'll probably find that as quality control measures waned in the later 60's and 70's, the workers just devised their own ad-hoc system to sign off finished work, instead of the date stamps that were formerly around.

At the time it would have meant something to the operator concerned, and the next guy on the next process, but it is probably now of little value now, unless it is known that "PB" or "RS" only worked in neck finishing between Jan-August 1971 (for example). But, like many factories, personnel were probably moved around to cover sickness, leave, etc.

Oh and I wish I was so privileged to take classic basses to bits! They were considered old cheap tat when I started playing in the 80s (sigh), a time when you couldn't give away a Gibson EB-3..........

Edited by Leowasright

Actually that's not far off what I've read in an interview with a Fender employee. She said that Fender went through a number of different ways of stamping their parts, apparently in quick succession. Unsurprisingly this led to some confusion on the shop floor, and could vary from shift to shift.

That was the gist as I remember it - stupidly I didn't bookmark the page. ;)

[quote name='slobluesine' post='393864' date='Jan 28 2009, 05:36 PM']here ya go Beedster... [url="http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html"]http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html[/url]

you'll regret this unhealthy interest , believe me... you will.. :P

i've a loft full of gorgeous train schedules from the 60's too, email me privately, :)[/quote]

Lovely, many thanks, that should keep my trainsptting urges at bay for a while ;)

[quote name='Beedster' post='366839' date='Dec 31 2008, 08:31 AM']From a few instruments I've seen recently there's huge variation in vintage Fender identification marks, far greater than any of the books would suggest. I'd like to see pics of neck pockets/heels with details of year, board, finish etc (also interested to see whether there are any 70s necks not made by J Torres :P ).
Thanks
Chris[/quote]

Thanks for the research Chris... ;)