Why become a member? ×

Marshalls new MB bass series?

Al Heeley

They had a phone call from me today plus an email with my pics in it. I'll have to wait till i get home this eve to see if I have a response. This is the big danger of sending out all your manufacturing to countries where labour is cheaper. i wa on a tight budget and this is the downside. Unless Marshall pay closer attention to this sort of thing, it will escalate and damage ther reputation. They have to strive to be competitive though for the market segment they cater for. in an ideal world I'd have enouigh disposable income to buy a top-end handbuilt british boutique amp and cab that only weighs 12 pounds but packs 750W. ;)

i've got the 4x10 cab and have ran my ashdown mag300 head through it for the last 6months and it sounds GREAT!!! very impressed, ive now bought he ashdown LG1000 so will see how it fairs this weekend as a couple of gigs coming up!! It is a shame about the whole 'overseas' production malarky, why can't they build them here in blighty!!!!

[quote name='pal1972' post='412019' date='Feb 17 2009, 02:40 PM']why can't they build them here in blighty!!!![/quote]
[soapbox]Cos people like me don't want to spend the extra money to pay for British salaries, health schemes, national insurance, pensions, health and safety legislation, environmental control and everything else that is killing the sad remains of the British manufacturing base ;) [/soapbox]

Juast got a reply back from marshall:
[b]After speaking to one of our engineers they have said that re-soldering the joint could have solved the problem but if you would like to send the cabinet back through the dealer we would be happy to check it over for you to make sure it is working fine. I will pass the e-mail and photos on to the R+D department and Quality Control so the issue will be raised and looked in to[/b].

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='412031' date='Feb 17 2009, 02:51 PM'][soapbox]Cos people like me don't want to spend the extra money to pay for British salaries, health schemes, national insurance, pensions, health and safety legislation, environmental control and everything else that is killing the sad remains of the British manufacturing base ;) [/soapbox][/quote]

At the price-point of my cabs it is possible to have UK manufacturing but only by avoiding the retailer mark-up. If they were UK built and sold through shops the designs would have to be simplified and we'd have to use cheaper components to manage to make any profit at all. But if you want to compete with entry-level cabs then there is absolutely no hope of doing so without using much cheaper labour. However, British labour isn't much more expensive than other European countries but our labour laws and our governments' long-term disinterest in manufacturing makes it much easier to close down UK factories and there are fewer incentives to open UK plants.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='412031' date='Feb 17 2009, 02:51 PM'][Just got a reply back from marshall:
[b]After speaking to one of our engineers they have said that re-soldering the joint could have solved the problem but if you would like to send the cabinet back through the dealer we would be happy to check it over for you to make sure it is working fine. I will pass the e-mail and photos on to the R+D department and Quality Control so the issue will be raised and looked in to[/b].[/quote]

Good service!

Alex

[quote]However, British labour isn't much more expensive than other European countries but our labour laws and our governments' long-term disinterest in manufacturing makes it much easier to close down UK factories and there are fewer incentives to open UK plants.[/quote]

But it is true that manufacturing entry-level/mid-level stuff in the Western world (Europe, Northern America, Japan, etc.) is counterproductive and silly, since there are China, Indonesia, India, Vietnam, etc. to cover this production. You can't escape the fact that it is cheaper to outsource production to developing countries.
The future for manufacturing in the Western world is in the high-quality, highly-specialized industry. Things that China and India simply can't make.

Edited by Boneless

[quote name='Boneless' post='412851' date='Feb 18 2009, 11:14 AM']But it is true that manufacturing entry-level/mid-level stuff in the Western world (Europe, Northern America, Japan, etc.) is counterproductive and silly, since there are China, Indonesia, India, Vietnam, etc. to cover this production. You can't escape the fact that it is cheaper to outsource production to developing countries.
The future for manufacturing in the Western world is in the high-quality, highly-specialized industry. Things that China and India simply can't make.[/quote]

That would be true if the economy didn't flip itself on its head, the exchange rate is so that in the UK atleast it is costing a fortune to import their own products from China.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='412840' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:59 AM']...British labour isn't much more expensive than other European countries but our labour laws and our governments' long-term disinterest in manufacturing makes it much easier to close down UK factories and there are fewer incentives to open UK plants.[/quote]Sad but true. The labour cost comparison though is not with Europe, it's UK verses India or China. This Marshall came from their Indian factory.
The business I work for is now owned by an indian company and we get to see some of the real gap in salaries for the guys assembling the units. It is substantial, otherwise why would all the industry more to the far east/asia. We also have a Chinese office and see the labour costs there. We cannot hope to compete on assembly and manufacturing costs, but it is more than just the salary levels, its all the employee benefits that you are used to getting in Europe, like helath care, pensions, etc. The cost of these in India is a fraction of what UK employers have to pay.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='412885' date='Feb 18 2009, 11:50 AM']Sad but true. The labour cost comparison though is not with Europe, it's UK verses India or China. This Marshall came from their Indian factory.
The business I work for is now owned by an indian company and we get to see some of the real gap in salaries for the guys assembling the units. It is substantial, otherwise why would all the industry more to the far east/asia. We also have a Chinese office and see the labour costs there. We cannot hope to compete on assembly and manufacturing costs, but it is more than just the salary levels, its all the employee benefits that you are used to getting in Europe, like helath care, pensions, etc. The cost of these in India is a fraction of what UK employers have to pay.[/quote]

Am I the only person who actively seeks out "Western" world made products, aka UK, America, Japan/Korea and Europe. I just think the quality is far superior as they have a solid work ethic. China is all about mass production.

[quote]That would be true if the economy didn't flip itself on its head, the exchange rate is so that in the UK atleast it is costing a fortune to import their own products from China.[/quote]

That's why it's called a crisis... :P
Here in Italy things haven't still worsened (much), but I reckon that in a few months' time it's gonna be sad over here as well ;)
Most probably China is going to benefit even more from the global crisis, though, since many people will decide to buy cheaper far-eastern made items and compromise on quality (because nowadays people can't seem to do without loads of stuff). Of course, less items will be bought altogether, but in comparison, China and India will actually benefit from the crisis.

[quote]Am I the only person who actively seeks out "Western" world made products, aka UK, America, Japan/Korea and Europe. I just think the quality is far superior as they have a solid work ethic. China is all about mass production.[/quote]

Most people prefer having something cheaper and lesser quality than not having it :)
And most people would never give up their standards of living, and if they used to buy western made stuff, they're going to switch to Chinese made alternatives in the future :huh:

Edited by Boneless

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='412031' date='Feb 17 2009, 02:51 PM']Juast got a reply back from marshall:
[b]After speaking to one of our engineers they have said that re-soldering the joint could have solved the problem but if you would like to send the cabinet back through the dealer we would be happy to check it over for you to make sure it is working fine. I will pass the e-mail and photos on to the R+D department and Quality Control so the issue will be raised and looked in to[/b].[/quote]

Wow, better result than I got from EHX. Found 3 dry joints, a crushed capacitor, and some other faulty issues with my compressor -- and the best they had to say was to get in touch if I needed a repair, not a word about passing it on to QC or any indication that they gave a sh*t.

Judging by the HC reviews, the issue I had is very common, you'd think EHX would have paid more attention.

But nice one Marshall, they've surprised me.