Why become a member? ×

Tried to fix broken jazz wiring...now it sounds like the tone control is always rolled off??

gafbass02

I'll try to post a pic, I just attached wires to things till sound came out when I tapped the pups with a screw driver. The gone control still seems to do something it goes from wooley to woolier!!

Oh yeah and it now buzzes like an mf!

Edited by gafbass02

Heh, that's not a particularly good way of fixing it... but never mind! First off, head over to the Seymour Duncan website and download the wiring diagram for a Jazz Bass (I'm on my phone just now so can't get you a link... sorry... maybe someone else could?). That should give you an idea of where everything should be connected. The buzzing sounds like you've connected the tail piece wire to the "hot" signal connection rather than the earth. It should be a single wire coming from either the tail piece area or through the bridge pickup route and should be soldered to the metal casing of one of the pots. The "wooly" sound is probably the tone control being shorted out, but, again, it's hard to tell without a pic for reference.

Hope that helps a little!

• 2 weeks later...