Why become a member? ×

My wrist hurts!!

AM1

My wrist (fretting hand) really hurts!

It gets progressively sorer when I play, to the point where I can't play any more and this is limiting my practice, it is really frustrating.

Haven't even played for that long today, only about two hours and it's throbbing like a mofo.

Any ideas what I can do would be much appreciated!

Cheers
AM

[quote name='AM1' post='360438' date='Dec 21 2008, 07:58 PM']My wrist (fretting hand) really hurts!

It gets progressively sorer when I play, to the point where I can't play any more and this is limiting my practice, it is really frustrating.

Haven't even played for that long today, only about two hours and it's throbbing like a mofo.

Any ideas what I can do would be much appreciated!

Cheers
AM[/quote]

Maybe you've just got to rest your wrist for a couple of days, if you haven't been playing too long you need to give your wrists/hands time to get use to it, it's that or you may be having problems with your technique.

Hi, been playing a few weeks now and before this only really picked up a bass less than a handful (haha) of times in the past.

I don't play with bent wrists as I physically cannot bend my wrist much or it hurts, there is a small lump there which I've had for ages but never caused any pain til I started playing bass!

Right now my hand is in agony and I can't play any more this evening. :)

Regards

AM

Edited by AM1

[quote name='Josh' post='360448' date='Dec 21 2008, 08:15 PM']A Ganglion cyst maybe?[/quote]

Yeah I think so, but it's never caused any pain, now it's f_cking throbbing, I'm not impressed! I had synced loads of tunes into my iPod to play this evening!

I'd lay right off the playing and get it checked out by a doctor asap. Trying to play through it may just exacerbate the problem and make recovery a much more drawn out process. It may be something very minor, but I would urge you to get it looked at - for peace of mind if nothing else.

Good luck!

[quote name='Mokl' post='360456' date='Dec 21 2008, 08:22 PM']I'd lay right off the playing and get it checked out by a doctor asap. Trying to play through it may just exacerbate the problem and make recovery a much more drawn out process. It may be something very minor, but I would urge you to get it looked at - for peace of mind if nothing else.

Good luck![/quote]

F_ck that - doctors are C*nts!

Edited by AM1

listen to your body, AM. if its telling you you need to rest, rest.

its one thing pushing through a bit of pain to build up strength and stamina, but when it gets to the stage you describe it as 'agony' its probably time to chill.

i have a ganglion cyst on my left hand, and i've found i had to build up carefully, if thats what you have, i feel your pain!

take care :)

x

[quote name='Jase' post='360485' date='Dec 21 2008, 09:02 PM']Then you deserve no sympathy![/quote]

Believe me, if you had been through what I have, at the hands of downright incompetent and negligent doctors, you'd see my point.

Regards

AM

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='360515' date='Dec 21 2008, 09:56 PM']Stop playing immediately.

Go and see a doctor. Thinking all of them are bad just because you had a poor experience with one is stupid - listen to yourself. However, a physiotherapist might be just as good if you don't mind paying.[/quote]

It is not just one and my opinion is not based purely on one personal experience with one doctor. There are multitudes of negligent doctors, as evidenced by any medical legal journal. Regarding personal experience, again, my opinion is not based on events with just one doctor and it's not just my experience, it is also that of friends and family, including one of my best friends, whom's cancer diagnostics and treatment has been repeatedly and grossly mismanaged since day one.

Anyway, the purpose of the thread wasn't to instigate a debate on medical matters. Telling me to go to a doctor is all well and good but if it involves some sort of treatment on my hand, then it's pretty much out of the question.

I would rather switch around and play the fretboard with my other hand, if the worst comes to the worst. Has anyone tried switching around, that is really what I am interested in, not repeatedly being told I should go to a doctor, when I have made it clear I inherently mistrust them.

Regards

AM

[quote name='AM1' post='360522' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:05 PM']I would rather switch around and play the fretboard with my other hand, if the worst comes to the worst. Has anyone tried switching around, that is really what I am interested in, not repeatedly being told I should go to a doctor, when I have made it clear I inherently mistrust them.[/quote]

yes, do that.

take a look at your technique and the position of your bass, you could experiment with your bass at different heights to see where the most comfortable playing position that didn't make you look like a dork was. It's a compromise between left hand comfort, right hand comfort, and looking like a tool!

[quote name='Kirky' post='360525' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:08 PM']Somehow I didn't expect you to listen to any good advice.[/quote]

I didn't expect YOU to bother listening to the fact that I have an innate [b]FEAR [/b]of going near a doctor.

Practical advice on adapting/working around is what I am after, not your pathetic criticism.

[quote name='AM1' post='360522' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:05 PM']It is not just one and my opinion is not based purely on one personal experience with one doctor. There are multitudes of negligent doctors, as evidenced by any medical legal journal. Regarding personal experience, again, my opinion is not based on events with just one doctor and it's not just my experience, it is also that of friends and family, including one of my best friends, whom's cancer diagnostics and treatment has been repeatedly and grossly mismanaged since day one.

Anyway, the purpose of the thread wasn't to instigate a debate on medical matters. Telling me to go to a doctor is all well and good but if it involves some sort of treatment on my hand, then it's pretty much out of the question.

I would rather switch around and play the fretboard with my other hand, if the worst comes to the worst. Has anyone tried switching around, that is really what I am interested in, not repeatedly being told I should go to a doctor, when I have made it clear I inherently mistrust them.

Regards

AM[/quote]

I'm sorry but you're nuts... and I mean that in a purely constructive way. Right now it's just a painfull wrist but what's going to happen if something really bad happens to you that requires urgent medical intervention? If the thread was "I have a phobia about doctors, how do I fix it myself?" then you should have said that. Look, I'm being blunt but you should listen to what you are saying - it is worrying. I have more than enough life experience (being old) to have brushed up against a lot of medical professionals in lots of different places to have a view and it is complete contrary to your own. sh*t happens, doctors are people and make mistakes but you can't let your experiences screw up your life.

Please, go and get some help for your phobia and THEN your wrist!

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='AM1' post='360528' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:10 PM']I didn't expect YOU to bother listening to the fact that I have an innate [b]FEAR [/b]of going near a doctor.

Practical advice on adapting/working around is what I am after, not your pathetic criticism.[/quote]

oioi, take it easy AM, a lot of people are rallying round trying to help you here. in my experience, if you ask for advice here, you'll get a lot of different suggestions, some will be more helpful to you personally than others, but be sure that the intention is usually good behind all the replies. i think it was fairly clear some of the suggestions with a medical issue would be to seek medical help, so be aware of the likely answers when you post your questions, and be as full as you can with your queries, that way you get the most out of the thread.

x

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='360529' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:13 PM']I'm sorry but you're nuts... and I mean that in a purely constructive way. Right now it's just a painfull wrist but what's going to happen if something really bad happens to you that requires urgent medical intervention?[/quote]

Been there, done that, in SPADES. Not doing it again.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='360529' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:13 PM']I have more than enough life experience (being old) to have brushed up against a lot of medical professionals in lots of different places to have a view and it is complete contrary to your own.[/quote]

Your age and your experience is irrelevant. My experience is relevant to ME.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='360529' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:13 PM']sh*t happens, doctors are people and make mistakes but you can't let your experiences screw up your life.[/quote]

I didn't. Those mistakes nearly cost me my life, several times.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='360529' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:13 PM']Please, go and get some help for your phobia and THEN your wrist![/quote]

It is not a "phobia" - it is an inherent mistrust issue with extremely valid underpinning reasons.

[quote name='AM1' post='360535' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:19 PM']Been there, done that, in SPADES. Not doing it again.

Your age and your experience is irrelevant. My experience is relevant to ME.

I didn't. Those mistakes nearly cost me my life, several times.

It is not a "phobia" - it is an inherent mistrust issue with extremely valid underpinning reasons.[/quote]

I don't know you and have no idea what happened to you but I hope you can work something out. There's clearly no point arguing the point(s) with you. Good luck.

Well, whatever you reasons, and no matter how valid they are, do you really think you can go through life without ever needing a doctor? You have to come to terms somehow with your issues. Have you [i]never[/i] seen a doctor you trusted? Who was helpful? Ever?