Why become a member? ×

has anyone used a Bose L1 Model 2 System With B1 Bin.

voxpop

Whynot
Strangely enough, there was a guy setting up the LD Maui 28 as I was leaving the demo yesterday. I didn't get chance to hear it, but I'm going back on Monday for a longer look at the L1 system, so I hope to do a comparison.

Dark Lord
Great to hear you took the L1. I spoke to Andy at Nevada who seemed to understand the Bose and was very helpful. I'm leaning towards the Model II with the Tonematch myself. You got it at a good price....

Let me know how you progress

Graham

• 1 year later...

There is a lot of bullsh*t in the bass community regarding the Bose systems. I have used an L1 model 2 with two B1 subs for years; primarily for church gigs, and it works very well. Since the line array makes the sound spread more horisontal, you won't get that [i]rolling and tumbling low frequency rumble[/i] in the church, but a more focused sound that is easy to control. I have NEVER run out of power. I've used the rig for "unplugged" kind of gigs, more singer-songwriter kind of acts, for jazz, for EUB, for acoustic bass, and as PA for duo-trio settings in small clubs. We even used my system for bass and digital drums backing a choir in a gospel gig.

Every rig has its pro's and con's. If you want to colour your tone with an amp, well, BOSE isn't your choice, maybe. Another weak link is when your guitard has a Fender Super Reverb aimed at killer volume at his calves, complaining "I CANNOT HEAR MYSELF", well, then the Bose is overrun at near distance (ie. on the stage). I use different setups: sometimes right into the T1 mixer, but that is not the best way to go. More often the DI send from a preamp straight into the analog input. I use EBS, Eden, Avalon, my Streamliner 900 (as pre) and earlier I used the Boss GT-10B.

B1 or B2 subs? Definitely two (or more) B1's! They sound way better, even if the B2 "woofs" a bit more. The B2 gets boomier and not - in my opinion - as focused. Yes - I have "real" bass rigs too, everything from 150 W combo to 3400 W giga-rig, with a lot in between. Each rig in its own context. The one nearly never used is - not unexpected - the giga-rig.

Here is an old pic from my living room...

...a church gig...

...and a "Sinatra" gig. (Try to find the rig!)

Edited by bassmayhem

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1427654628' post='2732751']
Since the line array makes the sound spread more horisontal, you won't get that [i]rolling and tumbling low frequency rumble[/i] in the church, but a more focused sound that is easy to control.[/quote]The height of the Bose array makes it very limited in how well it works as a line array. It does not function the way the Bose marketing claims. As the bass modules are so small they don't function as line sources at all. Required reading:
http://www.diy-audio.narod.ru/litr/nflawp.pdf

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1427666591' post='2732924']
The height of the Bose array makes it very limited in how well it works as a line array. It does not function the way the Bose marketing claims. As the bass modules are so small they don't function as line sources at all. Required reading:
[url="http://www.diy-audio.narod.ru/litr/nflawp.pdf"]http://www.diy-audio...litr/nflawp.pdf[/url]
[/quote]
Well, I ain't gonna go to battle over this; it works for what I use it for. Why read about how it sounds when I can listen to how it sounds. I even have a wireless system so I can go as far as the back wall or beyond. Compared to any other amp used in the same context I find no backlashes. The (low) height of the system makes the volume drop like a traditional speaker after some 10-12 meters, but the interesting thing is the area within 10-12 meters where you won't go deaf from the volume an ordinary speaker throws out to get the same volume drop after 10-12 meters. Try it! Like it or dislike it, but try it in real life gig situations first.