Why become a member? ×

Electro Harmonix Mic Pre and other tube preamps

Matte_black

Hello! I actually use an ART Tube MP, a PA power amp and a 3 ways speaker. I'd like to replace the preamp with something better. I used to own a Demeter preamp and I remember it being punchier and warmer (of course - it costs 7 times what I paid for the ART).
I see there are lots of tube preamps. I'd like to get a studio quality tube preamp for mic... no eq. needed as I have a parametric equalizer but I hardly use it.
I've seen the Electro Harmonix Mic Pre... with its small size and the two 12AX7 tubes it could be what I'm looking for. Besides it's priced pretty fairly (about €170 new).
The features I need? Real tube circuit, enough power to drive a power amp, DI and 1/4 outputs. Any advice is appreciated :)

The [url="http://www.avalondesign.com/instrudi.html"]Avalon U5[/url] is very highly thought of by some on this forum, and it also serves as a top-of-the-range DI box for live or studio work. I think Geddy Lee uses one too if that's any indication of quality? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hei! Sorry for the delay, I didn't see there were new replies...
I was keeping an eye on the TL Audio Ebony A1. It also has the "drive" knob... not a bad feature! Is the U5 able to drive a power amp properly? I see it only has the gain knob, no output knob... never tried one, unfortunately.

The Avalon U5... I'm no expert, but I've been going through an Avalon U5 in the recording studio, and it sounded pretty neat.
Clear, punchy and rich tone. Could have recorded the bass only going through the Avalon pre, if I didn't use distortion (so I preferred combining it with my miked cabinet).
And it costs 500€ new.
Not tube though, I think it's solid state, but VERY good nonetheless. I don't think you should choose a pre basing on its technology, anyway :)

Edited by Boneless

[quote name='joegarcia' post='359737' date='Dec 20 2008, 05:43 PM']Tried one live on vocals a few weeks ago and it sucked. It hissed really badly and sounded really poor. Just went straight into the desk in the end.[/quote]

What sounds good with a mic won't necessarily sound good with a bass, and vice-versa. They're completely different levels and impedances.

[quote name='bremen' post='369352' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:36 PM']What sounds good with a mic won't necessarily sound good with a bass, and vice-versa. They're completely different levels and impedances.[/quote]

Yea true, but this particular unit is just a mic pre, I don't think it even has an instrument input so didn't think he'd want to use it with a bass. Besides, if it was creating excessive amounts of noise when barely even turned up I think that is gonna be a pain whatever you plug into it. It seemed really badly built too. Just my opinion though of course.

I've been tempted by the TL 5050 recently:

[url="http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs_07/product_07/5050.shtml"]http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs_07/product_07/5050.shtml[/url]

Great price (£275 on DV247) for a simple tube pre and compressor. They get decent reviews as well, so might be worth considering if an EQ is not a priority.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='369405' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:24 PM']Yea true, but this particular unit is just a mic pre, I don't think it even has an instrument input so didn't think he'd want to use it with a bass. Besides, if it was creating excessive amounts of noise when barely even turned up I think that is gonna be a pain whatever you plug into it. It seemed really badly built too. Just my opinion though of course.[/quote]

ah, well in that case it's definitely not suitable as a bass preamp!

I should be able to test a TL Audio Ivory 5050 tomorrow... a friend of mine owns one (and uses it in studio). The first thing I want to know is if there's a clear difference in use between my cheap Art MP and an Ivory, Ebony or ISA preamp. If I find the difference worth the cost I'll try to decide.
The Ebony A1 looks nice too... and I've heard good things about the Focusrite ISA (small version, about £460).

Tried the TL Audio but it wasn't the 5050, it was the 5001 if I remember right. Anyway, there wasn't a great difference in tone. I've also tried an API preamp, both thru my cab and thru studio monitors... the difference isn't worth the price. The TL audio was slightly nicer on the high end while the API was warmer and crispier.
I fear I should spend at least 600 pounds to have something _really_ better sounding than my ART. Opinions?

[quote name='Matte_black' post='370788' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:04 PM']Tried the TL Audio but it wasn't the 5050, it was the 5001 if I remember right. Anyway, there wasn't a great difference in tone. I've also tried an API preamp, both thru my cab and thru studio monitors... the difference isn't worth the price. The TL audio was slightly nicer on the high end while the API was warmer and crispier.
I fear I should spend at least 600 pounds to have something _really_ better sounding than my ART. Opinions?[/quote]

Had you considered upgrading the valve in the ART? Swapping the Chinese 12AU7s in my SVP made a huge difference. If it doesn't have the desired effect you still have a quality valve to re-use or re-sell.