Why become a member? ×

Bass theory and instructional book?

umcoo

Hey guys and gals, now that I've got a bit of spare time I feel like I want to improve my playing and tidy things up a bit. Can anyone suggest a book or cd type thing with exercises to improve my playing? I've been playing for over 8 years, but feel im stuck in a bit of a rut with my playing. I don't do slap or tapping and all that lot, just things to help me improvise and 'know' what's going on with my basslines. Was thinking about the 'bass bible', but I don't want some really basic stuff. Any help is appreciated. Merci

[quote name='umcoo' post='37030' date='Jul 25 2007, 09:54 PM']Hey guys and gals, now that I've got a bit of spare time I feel like I want to improve my playing and tidy things up a bit. Can anyone suggest a book or cd type thing with exercises to improve my playing? I've been playing for over 8 years, but feel im stuck in a bit of a rut with my playing. I don't do slap or tapping and all that lot, just things to help me improvise and 'know' what's going on with my basslines. Was thinking about the 'bass bible', but I don't want some really basic stuff. Any help is appreciated. Merci[/quote]

The Bass Bible is a good book but has a number of typos between the tab and notation so it pays to listen carefully to the CDs (and not every example is on the CD). The world music stuff is very good, plenty of new styles to discover.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='37402' date='Jul 26 2007, 04:16 PM']I was in this position not so long ago - the best thing I found was to have a few lessons with a tutor. You wont regret the investment![/quote]

Since my band's pretty much fallen apart, this may work out for me. I'm finding that not playing with other people means I'm not reaching for the bass as often as I used to. Cheers