Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder II - Not sure where to start

I went right to the very back of the pile today and dug out my second ever bass which hasn't been out of it's case for quite a while.

After putting fresh batteries in it, I found that there are clearly some issues with the electronics. Any volume is intermittent at best and there is no volume at all when the pick up selector is in the 'up' position. I'm not even entirely sure what the three switches below the pots actually do now, it's such a long time since I've used it. It's such a shame as it had a great sound when it was working and the neck profile is like putting on an old pair of slippers.

I'm wondering what the options are to get it up and running again. Obviously it all depends on where the issues lie, but I'm guessing if it's electronics on the board, it's not going to be an easy fix.

I'm not very experienced in repairing/diagnosing electronic faults. 

Can anyone give me a steer towards getting the old girl playable?

IMG_8183.JPG

IMG_8184.JPG

IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_8186.JPG

IMG_8188.JPG

IMG_8189.JPG

I would start with the simpler stuff, which would be the switch selector. If the soldering looks good, then get some switch cleaner sprayed on to the contacts.

Move on to all the other soldered connections and check that they are sound.

Check for continuity from the battery.

You might have to then look to the circuit board and if you know how, check the components. 

Good luck, looks like an interesting project.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...