Why become a member? ×

Hartke questions

bassfunk

Hi Guys

So I'm thinking of upgrading my Mag 250 C115 combo to separates. I've had the chance to play through a Hartke HA 3500 at a couple of gigs. And I liked the sound. Unfortunately I can't seem to find one second hand at the mo. But there seem to be a few Ha 4000 heads going. I've never played through one of these so I'm interested in the differences. I know the 4000 doesn't have the tube pre-amp. Has anybody played both and can they tell me how they differ?

I'm also thinking of getting a Transporter 4x10 cab (mainly because of the weight). Does anybody know how these differ to the XL ranges etc?

Any opinions are welcome. As are offers of similar heads/cabs.

Thanks Guys

Pete

Hey thanks for that Merton. I forgot to add that I had already read everything there is to read on the LH500 and although it really appeals to me I'm not sure I could use it with a transporter cab because of the power ratings? And I casn't really afford any other lightweight cabs. I'm looking to spend £400 at the most.

Good luck with it Merton. They look like awesome amps

Edited by bassfunk

I wouldn't worry too much about power ratings - if the speakers don't like it you'll be able to hear!

I'm going to be running the LH500 through a 240W 4x8 cab this weekend (8ohms, the LH500 produces about 350W at 8 ohms apparently) but as long as I'm careful with the volume and bass controls it'll all be fine :)

Sorry to hijack the thread to shamelessly plug my cab.......

I've got a 4x10XL in excellent condition for £190.

It's the usa built one, not the chinese ones available now (Hartke switched all of their manufacture overseas a while ago).

It comes with a cover (these are about £30+) and a high quality Cordial Hiflex lead (about £15 IIRC)

It's 400w @ 8ohms, if you wanna try it i'm in blackpool so not too far away

LINK:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25107&hl=hartke+xl"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=hartke+xl[/url]

*Shameless plug* Don't know how much a Hartke head is these days, but if you want some serious muscle check out my Laney B1, for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34325"]here[/url] A hugely powerful (1500 watts) and much respected amp (ask any Basschatter) and much better than the Hartke HA5500 I used to own

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='355868' date='Dec 16 2008, 12:34 PM']Sorry to hijack the thread to shamelessly plug my cab.......

I've got a 4x10XL in excellent condition for £190.

It's the usa built one, not the chinese ones available now (Hartke switched all of their manufacture overseas a while ago).

It comes with a cover (these are about £30+) and a high quality Cordial Hiflex lead (about £15 IIRC)

It's 400w @ 8ohms, if you wanna try it i'm in blackpool so not too far away

LINK:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25107&hl=hartke+xl"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=hartke+xl[/url][/quote]

Thanks Lemmywinks. I had seen your cab. But I'm a little worried about the weight I don't want anything heavier than the combo I already have (It's a bit of a walk from my flat to the car park round the back). I will certainly keep it in mind.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='355888' date='Dec 16 2008, 01:05 PM']*Shameless plug* Don't know how much a Hartke head is these days, but if you want some serious muscle check out my Laney B1, for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34325"]here[/url] A hugely powerful (1500 watts) and much respected amp (ask any Basschatter) and much better than the Hartke HA5500 I used to own[/quote]

I hadn't seen this in the for sale section. It looks as though it may be a little too powerful for what I'm looking for though.

It's not that heavy really, not much more noticable than the transporters when lugging, also it has the pull out handles so it's easier to carry, esp for two people. I tried the TP range and didn't like them all that much so ended up buying the two XL ones (also i had the HA5500 head so they were a bit underpowered).

Specs from the website - 4x10 TP is 65 (29kg) and the 4x10 XL is 88lb (39kg)

It's up to you though dude!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='355931' date='Dec 16 2008, 01:36 PM']It's not that heavy really, not much more noticable than the transporters when lugging, also it has the pull out handles so it's easier to carry, esp for two people. I tried the TP range and didn't like them all that much so ended up buying the two XL ones (also i had the HA5500 head so they were a bit underpowered).

Specs from the website - 4x10 TP is 65 (29kg) and the 4x10 XL is 88lb (39kg)

It's up to you though dude!

Cheers

Steve[/quote]

Hmmm. I suppose 10 kilos is nothing to a man of my stature! I am very tempted. I'll do a bit more research etc and think about it. If I find the right head at the right price I might just give you a shout.

[quote name='bassfunk' post='355910' date='Dec 16 2008, 01:21 PM']I hadn't seen this in the for sale section. It looks as though it may be a little too powerful for what I'm looking for though.[/quote]

It will run with much lower rated cabs. I've been running it with a Marshall MBC410 rated at only 600 watts without any problems. It should run into a 410XL without any problems too. Just go sparingly with the volume. Running a 1000 watt head into a 400 watt 8 ohm cabinet means the amp isn't going to have to work so hard therefore theoretically, you will get a clearer sound than a 350 watt head turned up to 6 or 7 to achieve the same perceived volume.

I found the Hartke heads sounded very hollow and too clinical for me and the HA5500 just didn't have enough umphhh to cut it.

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bassman2790' post='355986' date='Dec 16 2008, 02:13 PM']It will run with much lower rated cabs. I've been running it with a Marshall MBC410 rated at only 600 watts without any problems. It should run into a 410XL without any problems too. Just go sparingly with the volume. Running a 1000 watt head into a 400 watt 8 ohm cabinet means the amp isn't going to have to work so hard therefore theoretically, you will get a clearer sound than a 350 watt head turned up to 6 or 7 to achieve the same perceived volume.

I found the Hartke heads sounded very hollow and too clinical for me and the HA5500 just didn't have enough umphhh to cut it.[/quote]

It really does look like a great amp. But I've had the chance to try the Hartke in a gig situation and was happy with it. If I had the chance to try the Laney I might be blown away. But I wouldn't want to buy something without trying it out first. It looks like you're in a hurry to shift your amp too and I'm still at the decision making/fund gathering stage at the moment.

Fair enough. I could do with shifting it soon which sounds awful as it's such a great amp but I've already spent the money (as you do). :)

Good luck with your hunt for your Hartke

[quote name='bassman2790' post='356025' date='Dec 16 2008, 02:46 PM']Fair enough. I could do with shifting it soon which sounds awful as it's such a great amp but I've already spent the money (as you do). :)

Good luck with your hunt for your Hartke[/quote]

Thanks Mate. And good luck with your sale.

Oh forgot to add, the 2000/3000/4000 series heads are actually a lot easier to use than the others as there's no graphic eq. There is however a shape contour with (IIRC) an attenuation control which handles this superbly.

I used to have an HA3000 (my first bass head.... :) ) and it was simple but very effective, only traded it as the HA5500 came in the shop!
Missed the Shape circuit as i found it dead easy to dial in a tone as in effect it was just one knob replacing loads of sliders.

Ta
Steve

[quote name='bassfunk' post='355820' date='Dec 16 2008, 11:53 AM']Hi Guys

So I'm thinking of upgrading my Mag 250 C115 combo to separates. I've had the chance to play through a Hartke HA 3500 at a couple of gigs. And I liked the sound. Unfortunately I can't seem to find one second hand at the mo. But there seem to be a few Ha 4000 heads going. I've never played through one of these so I'm interested in the differences. I know the 4000 doesn't have the tube pre-amp. Has anybody played both and can they tell me how they differ?

I'm also thinking of getting a Transporter 4x10 cab (mainly because of the weight). Does anybody know how these differ to the XL ranges etc?

Any opinions are welcome. As are offers of similar heads/cabs.

Thanks Guys

Pete[/quote]

hi,i use a ha550 head with vx cabs(4x10,1x15)and i think they're great.there's loads of uummph in the head and the vx cabs are nice and light;and i can hear every note nice and clearly.the tube pre-amp isn't that great but the sound is loud and i can dial in most sounds.
hope you get what you want. :)

[quote name='mike.be' post='356467' date='Dec 16 2008, 10:37 PM']hi,i use a ha550 head with vx cabs(4x10,1x15)and i think they're great.there's loads of uummph in the head and the vx cabs are nice and light;and i can hear every note nice and clearly.the tube pre-amp isn't that great but the sound is loud and i can dial in most sounds.
hope you get what you want. :)[/quote]

Yeah I had looked at the VX cabs. They are very light. I thought I had it all sorted and I wanted a HA3500 and 410TP. Now I'm all confused. I guess I'll have to wait to see what kind of money I can get together, and how much talking round 'the boss' will need.