Why become a member? ×

Finale Notepad

bluesparky

Hi y'all.
I use Finale notepad as a tool for scribbling down any transcriptions i've done.
It's a manual input program and sometimes laborious but after using it for years i'm up to speed and don't need to think too much whilst using it.
It is free though, and therefore limited in how powerful it is, i.e. you can't change time signature mid-song, 1st and 2nd time bars don't really exist and other things like that which i'm sure you don't need to know right now.

Are there any other programs that are suitable for this task?
I prefer to do it manually - and not via a midi keyboard etc and input standard notation, not tab, so Guitarpro, tabledit etc are quite what i'm after.
After i've done each piece i then print it to pdf and use that to read later.
What do y'all use?
I don't mind splashing a limited amount of cash, it's not that i'm tight or broke, just that notepad is free and i don't want to spend a grand on an all singing and dancing piece of software for which i only use a little part of.

Thanks

Sibelius is the de facto standard, but is very expensive (although there is a student licence available).

I've used one called Mozart in the past (http://www.mozart.co.uk/) which has plenty of features but is still a little clunky to use. I think its great value for money though compared to Sibelius.

Martin

Edited by Kirky