Guest oZZma

I want to make a gift to my bandmate that Is currently hospitalized: books! I want to buy him books about music genres/bands. 

The genres he his more into are grindcore, tech death, jazzcore... Stuff like that

But he is curious and loves everything that Is weird, extreme or experimental

He may find interesting both bios* (but they must be really FUN to read, not "normal" bios) and history of genres (he has a book about death and grindcore that he almost knows by memory :biggrin: I think this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choosing_Death:_The_Improbable_History_of_Death_Metal_%26_Grindcore )

Please give me some good titles! 

*As for bios: to give an idea, my initial intention was to buy Klaus Kinski's "All I need Is love", but I haven't found it anywhere in Italian :(

He would have liked that a lot... 

Edited by oZZma

Guest oZZma
3 minutes ago, davegriffiths91 said:

This Is Your Brain on Musicb by Daniel Levitin 

One of the most interesting books about music I've read

Geez! This Is a GREAT suggestion, I remember I came across this title not long ago and being intrigued, but I forgot about that!! THANKS! 

Guest oZZma

He is also a science enthusiast, he will love this book for sure! :)

The biography of Derek Bailey is a very entertaining read as well as being a history and discography of free improv jazz...

Guest subaudio

One out of left field, Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks.

All Gates Open: The Story of Can by Rob Young & Irmin Schmidt.  More than a music biog - a really interesting and thought-provoking read.

Guest oZZma

Thanks everyone! In the end I chose what was available in the book shop, a book about post-punk by Simon Reynolds, and "Lords of Chaos" :)

Guest oZZma
41 minutes ago, Panamonte said:

All Gates Open: The Story of Can by Rob Young & Irmin Schmidt.  More than a music biog - a really interesting and thought-provoking read.

I may order this for myself :biggrin:

I'm a huge Can fan.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Baloney Balderdash
      So as the tittle says, from previously being absolutely dead quiet, my EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, that I currently have installed in my main bass, has starting making a, still fairly subtle compared to most other pickups, static noise when my hands are not in contact with any strings or metal parts connected with the bridge ground of the bass, and while all the other pole pieces doesn't produce any noise whatsoever when touched the lower pole piece of the pair on each side of the D string produce a fairly loud continuous crackling sound when I touch it (which though becomes a lot more quiet if I get in contact with any metal connected with the bridge ground), which tells me that somehow something has happened to the pickup at some point so that that pole piece is either not properly grounded anymore or worse possibly have come in contact with the hot signal of the pickup, which if the latter in fact is the case I assume would mean being in direct contact with some coil wire where the thin layer of insulation that the wire normally is coated with for some reason has failed.
      So my question is, if there is any way one could possibly tell with any real probability and not just by absolute pure guesswork, would I have any reason to believe that this issue is likely to develop for the worse, possibly eventually leading to the final dead of the pickup, or perhaps it just eventually becoming so noisy that it might as well be dead, or are the odds noticeable higher that the issue in all likelihood won't develop for the worse and that I should probably have little reason to worry as long as the above described issue doesn't bother me?
      Any speculations on how this issue could suddenly occur, apparently out of the blue, are welcome too, cause frankly I have absolutely no idea and find it rather odd, but whatever has coursed it it must have happened in between last time I uninstalled it, in favor of a DiMarzio Model P, almost a year ago, and then when I fairly recently reinstalled it.

• By Baloney Balderdash
      After having tried several phasers, some considerably more expensive ones too, I finally settled for a Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, and I absolutely love how it sounds.

Exactly the right effect for my application.

However when not engaged it bleeds a swirling background noise that really annoys me and makes it unfit to use for recordings.

It's not really like it actually modulates my signal when not engaged, just adding this annoying background noise to it.

And just so that you know I've already tried running it on it's own dedicated power supply, but without it fixing the issue.

It's a pretty accurate clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone but the new version just doesn't sound the same, and far from as great, even if EHX claims that it is the same circuit, so getting that instead is not an option.

So my question is if there is any way to fix the swirling background noise that the Behringer phaser produces when not engaged, some kind of mod, preferably not too advanced, as I, even if I do know how to solder, am not exactly all that well versed with electronics or comfortable doing complicated procedures?

I would even be willing to pay to have a mod done to it that fixes it.
    • By JapanAxe
      You can read all about this gadget here. This is the 5th gen model A1408 introduced in 2011.

Boxed with power supply and manual. Good working order but has sat unused in a cupboard for a while following a router change.

Price includes UK delivery..

• By Carlcoops
      Hi guys/girls I'm new to playing bass, I introduced myself a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to teach myself bass by playing songs following tabs. But noticed I'm getting a horrible noise when moving from say the 6th fret down to 4th quickly. Not got much gain, a fair bit of treble and mids low and high trying to emulate the style of music I listen to without a p-bass. I'm using an epiphone toby deluxe iv and fender rumble 40 v3. I know its my fretting hand but what am I doing wrong. Please advise if you can and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Carl