Why become a member? ×

Noisy Ashdown

Andyalfa

Hi there. I need a little advice. I currently have an Ashdown ABM Evo II 500 which is only 2 years old. Generally, I've been very pleased with the build and sound quality, but unfortunately, despite sounding great most of the time, it’s recently developed a problem.

When I turn the input gain or the output volume knobs, it makes a very loud grinding, crackling noise, and depending where I stop turning, I either have buzzing, a dead spot, or normal sound. I’m no sparky, but I don’t mind getting the amp out of the casing and blowing the dust off. However, do you think it’s a little more than dirt and should I get it looked at professionally? Do amps require regular servicing in the same way I send my bass for a set up every 12 months?

[quote name='Waldo' post='350656' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:24 PM']Sounds like you might just need to clean the pots with some contact cleaner.

You shouldn't have to service your amp yearly like you might do with a bass. Well, it is an Ashdown you have afterall :)[/quote]

Thanks for the swift reply.

When you say contact cleaner, do mean something like a quick squirt of WD40 or the solvent I used to use to clean the heads of my old tape deck?

WD-40 is a definate no, the residue from it will attract dust and is insulating so could end up making the problem worse later. You can buy cans of Servisol from Maplins which is made for this purpose, not sure about your tape head cleaner, best to be safe than sorry.

I'm sure Ashdown could tell you the best thing to use, if they think that will solve the problem.

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='Waldo' post='350689' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:42 PM']WD-40 is a definate no, the residue from it will attract dust and is insulating so could end up making the problem worse later. You can buy cans of Servisol from Maplins which is made for this purpose, not sure about your tape head cleaner, best to be safe than sorry.

I'm sure Ashdown could tell you the best thing to use, if they think that will solve the problem.[/quote]

Good idea, I'll drop them an email. They've always responded quickly in the past to my occasional query.

Just had the following reply from Russ Swindle at Ashdown

[i]"Hi Andy,

It sounds like your input and ouput pots need cleaning out - this is something you can do yourself if you're happy to open up the amp.
All you need is some contact treatment oil, you can get this at Maplin (order code JP17T).
Spray this into the pots and work them backwards and forwards a few times and you should find that all the scratchiness and noise has gone.

Regards

Russ."[/i]

Pretty much echoes the advice from you bass chatters. Thanks for that. Nice little job for Saturday morning coming up. Saves me putting the lights up on a wet tree, anyway.

• Haha 1

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='351758' date='Dec 11 2008, 01:49 PM']Just had the following reply from Russ Swindle at Ashdown

[i]"Hi Andy,

It sounds like your input and ouput pots need cleaning out - this is something you can do yourself if you're happy to open up the amp.
All you need is some contact treatment oil, you can get this at Maplin (order code JP17T).
Spray this into the pots and work them backwards and forwards a few times and you should find that all the scratchiness and noise has gone.

Regards

Russ."[/i]

Pretty much echoes the advice from you bass chatters. Thanks for that. Nice little job for Saturday morning coming up. [b]Saves me putting the lights up on a wet tree, anyway[/b].[/quote]

Hah, well good luck with it! Let us know how you get on.

[quote name='Waldo' post='351959' date='Dec 11 2008, 05:21 PM']Hah, well good luck with it! Let us know how you get on.[/quote]

The problem is fixed! Servisol did the trick. Thanks for the tip folks. The only noise coming out of the amp now are the rasping tones of my p-bass!

• Like 1

• 12 years later...