Why become a member? ×

Tascam GB-10 problems

stewblack

Anyone use the Tascam GB-10?

I'm particularly fond of mine but it has an irritating fault I can't seem to solve. Certain tracks won't play. The screen shows either Non-supported or File error.  Sometimes tracks play in broken speeded up fragments. Now, I have tried encoding them as mp3 same result, as wav same result, different memory card same result, format and start again same result, rename the files same result. This happens with tracks I've recorded myself or edited on Audacity or ripped from cd or downloaded, there seems no pattern I can discern. Some work others do not.

Oh and when the card is in my pc or the device is connected via usb all tracks play just fine.

Thank you in anticipation.

The non supported ones will normally be because you've encoded them at 48kHz. Load them up in Audacity, change the sample rate to 44.1kHz using the drop down in the bottom left corner and re-export. 

The Tascsm cant handle sample rates higher than 44.1kHz.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Muppet said:

The non supported ones will normally be because you've encoded them at 48kHz. Load them up in Audacity, change the sample rate to 44.1kHz using the drop down in the bottom left corner and re-export. 

The Tascsm cant handle sample rates higher than 44.1kHz.

Thanks, I'll look into this. You may have saved me from going round the bend!

• Like 1

That was exactly the problem with some tracks I was trying to play a month or two ago. After reading the bit in the manual that says they've got to be 44.1, I loaded them into Audacity and changed the project sampling rate (bottom left of the window) from 48 to 44.1.

• 3 years later...

I do have exactly the same problem, with SOME MP3 files.

BUT: these files ARE all encoded with the same bitrate (128kbit) and the same samplerate (44,1khz).

Yet they do NOT play on the Tascam GB10, while playing in any Windows media player.

I tried renaming them, assuming issues with characters in the filename, no cigar.

So what other fine differences may exist that prevent this rather powerful Tascam from playing these files back?

Overall I encounter this random issue for about 1% of my files on the memory card, i.e. about 20 of 2000.

It nags me not to find and resolve the root cause.

Any ideas for testing more.

Apologies: MY error; not 44,1kHz but MONAURAL 22,05kHz was the real file format of these old files.

In fact a new mix at 44,1kHz will make them suitable for the GB10.

Now how to hunt down such files with these attributes in Windows, so I can recompile them?

A new challenge.

Thanks for reading!

m

Edited by mw210461
Found the root cause

2 hours ago, mw210461 said:

Apologies: MY error; not 44,1kHz but MONAURAL 22,05kHz was the real file format of these old files.

In fact a new mix at 44,1kHz will make them suitable for the GB10.

Now how to hunt down such files with these attributes in Windows, so I can recompile them?

A new challenge.

Thanks for reading!

m

Afraid I can't help. I sold the Tascam in the end. But good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

My GB-10 has now got an interesting feature. Plugged into USB port on PC, on startup I select "Storage" and the GB-10 goes into USB storage mode but the PC doesn't recognise it. Also, connecting it via a hub, it gives "System Err 50 - Please PWR OFF". Other than that, it works fine, and I can transfer files into the MUSIC folder to play them. Anyone else had anything similar?

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know a suitable program on Mac for converting from 48 kHz (iPhone recording) to 44.1kHz?

I have tried with Audacity, but to no avail. The converted file sounds right on iTunes, but on the Tascam it was imposed with another song, like two songs played at once. So I`ve deleted all files on the Tascam and copied the testfile again, but this time it said No music file. It`s driving me mad and I`ve wasted so much time trying to solve this problem.

1 hour ago, Navi said:

Does anyone know a suitable program on Mac for converting from 48 kHz (iPhone recording) to 44.1kHz?

I have tried with Audacity, but to no avail. The converted file sounds right on iTunes, but on the Tascam it was imposed with another song, like two songs played at once. So I`ve deleted all files on the Tascam and copied the testfile again, but this time it said No music file. It`s driving me mad and I`ve wasted so much time trying to solve this problem.

Did you recreate the MUSIC folder or just copy the test file into root?

I have kept the MUSIC folder but thew out any files that were in there and copied just the test file into it.

This morning I`ve tried again. Now it says INVALID CARD. I can`t even connect it to my Mac anymore. This device drives me round the bend!

• 3 months later...

I have always used a 10 year old Tascam GB-10 without a problem. Recently I wanted to use it but all files gave (FILE ERROR - PRESS PLAY). The music store couldn't help me and advised me to buy a new one. Unfortunately I have the same problem with the new Tascam GB-10 from the first time (FILE ERROR - PRESS PLAY). I reformatted the card. I have checked all files by AudaCity and if necessary conferted to 44.1 kHz. If I perform all kinds of actions, the Home button, and then scroll button to the left or right, for example, I can sometimes play a file. If I can do that, by stopping the playing song and then scrolling to the next song, I can eventually play all the songs. When browsing to the next file, the problem occurs again. Who knows the problem and can help me?

IMG_0931.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Zup39 said:

I have always used a 10 year old Tascam GB-10 without a problem. Recently I wanted to use it but all files gave (FILE ERROR - PRESS PLAY). The music store couldn't help me and advised me to buy a new one. Unfortunately I have the same problem with the new Tascam GB-10 from the first time (FILE ERROR - PRESS PLAY). I reformatted the card. I have checked all files by AudaCity and if necessary conferted to 44.1 kHz. If I perform all kinds of actions, the Home button, and then scroll button to the left or right, for example, I can sometimes play a file. If I can do that, by stopping the playing song and then scrolling to the next song, I can eventually play all the songs. When browsing to the next file, the problem occurs again. Who knows the problem and can help me?

IMG_0931.jpeg

The only way around this I have found is to find a file that plays 100% of the time on the Tascam and compare its properties with one that doesn't, then changing the newer one to the older format. The Tascam is pretty old technology (last firmware was 2010) and it is not keeping up with modern encoding, so 44.1kHz and 320kbps or smaller.  I always used 128kbps max.   It even struggles to use larger memory cards so you have to stick to 32GB cards max.

I had this problem when trying to play a file which was 48kHz instead of 44.1kHz. I used Audacity to convert it, after which it was fine. See page 12 of the owner's manual.

Just checked the specifications section of the manual and it says

Playback format

WAV: 44.1kHz, 16/24 bit

MP3: 44.1/48kHz, 32/64/96/128/192/256/320kbps

I'm not sure about the MP3 though, but I can't remember if it was WAV or MP3 I had problems with

Edited by tauzero
Add the bit from the spec

• 7 months later...

Download Audacity (cross platform). Use File | Import | Audio to import the MP3. On the left-hand side you will see something like

image.png.43df1606f08e7d5b64b80a00ed4920d8.png

If that says 48000Hz then that's your problem and it's easily rectified. Go to Edit | Preferences and under Audio Settings you will see Project Sample Rate and Default Sample Rate. Change both of those to 44100Hz from the dropdowns and click OK. Now use File | Export | Export as MP3 and when the export dialogue comes up to select a file to save to, name the file something different to the original file and change the bit rate in Quality to 320kbps.