Why become a member? ×

Bow-back neck

Grangur

A new addition to the collection is a short scale Mustang, but the neck has a backwards bow. So the strings rattle against the frets as it's played.

I've dressed the frets and put a wood block under the strings at the 8th fret; to get some forward pressure going on to pull the headstock forward.

Has anyone else had this and had any success in fixing this issue?

I assume you've tried loosening the truss rod right off and fitting heavyweight strings?

I'm no luthier but a kill or cure would be to take the finish off the neck and steam it for several hours while holding it straight in a jig. I accept no responsibility if/when this kills the guitar...

• Like 1

Yes, @Stub Mandrel, I've tried tightening the truss rod, to make sure it is working the right way. It is. Then I loosened it right off.

What I might do is steam the fret board and see if doing so, causes it to allow the neck to straighten and then re-attach the fretboard in a better position. 

I suspect the bass has got damp at some stage and the rosewood has expanded more than the maple has. Especially as the maple is lacquered, and the rosewood is bare wood.

• Like 1

Hi grangur, I’m a carpenter/ joiner / polisher by trade and I’m guessing the backward bow may be too much for the truss rod to pull it in the other direction, it maybe working against itself, if you know what I mean , have you got any pics 🙂

• Like 1

Hi @Reggaebass

Many thanks for your interest. The TR adjustment is at the heel.  Also, to adjust, you have to remove the neck. (pita)

If you tighten clockwise, the back bow becomes more severe. So the TR is working correctly, but the neck needs to develop new habits. :D

P.S. the block on the neck does seem to be working to correct this!

15515201907768116797243633588148.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Hi @Reggaebass

Many thanks for your interest. The TR adjustment is at the heel.  Also, to adjust, you have to remove the neck. (pita)

If you tighten clockwise, the back bow becomes more severe. So the TR is working correctly, but the neck needs to develop new habits. :D

P.S. the block on the neck does seem to be working to correct this!

15515201907768116797243633588148.jpg

If the block is working that’s great, maybe worth leaving like that to slowly re adjust, it’s worth the wait rather than possibly damaging the truss rod 🙂

• Like 1

I had an otherwise-fantastic Lakland neck with a backbow, I clamped it to a block of wood, slung an old bridge on it and some old strings and overtightened them to pull it forwards. I put it away and left it for maybe 18 months, and it brought it back. For a while. Eventually the backbow returned, so I sourced another neck.

I’ve still got it if anyone wants a project...

• Thanks 1