Why become a member? ×

The BlazerRay... Now finished!

BassTool

Now you can see the 'splits' I mentioned earlier in the front face. They've all been Tightbonded and dragged flat using a Stanley blade then sanded, sanded, and sanded again.

They look alarming, but I'm happy enough that they don't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon, and I've got them flat level for painting.

Edited by BassTool

Sandpaper and a decent sanding block (from my 'supplier') are proving to be a big help with this build.

I never anticipated how much, and how much of a range I would need. I've used 80 grit to start cleaning up after the rasping, going up to 400 on the body all over.

The carves have given the body a bit of weight relief - it is a lump - as well as a more comfortable feel.

IMG_20190120_134219939.jpg

IMG_20190120_134232842.jpg

IMG_20190120_134250363.jpg

• Like 1

Right then, back to that headstock reshape.

I blacked off the areas to trim with a felt tip pen (well, blued off), and then put them above a black background to give me an idea of where to tweak. I was tight on the bottom curve and sweep up to the top, but by messing around with the template I got an almost Rayish headshape.

Then to cutting..

IMG_20190113_164801070.jpg

IMG_20190114_150623304.jpg

IMG_20190118_134248724.jpg

IMG_20190118_140506105.jpg

I say finished, but there is more sanding to do to get it as close to perfect as I can.

This then, was time to see how it looked with the tuners fitted. These bad boys turned out to be in remarkably excellent condition after a buff up with a simple polishing cloth. They are a bit of a strange design, that odd butterfly shape and the smaller than normal barrel, but they work well, and the one I used upside down fits too! 

I was going to paint the headstock white to match the body and hide the plugged hole. But as this was going to be a long term project during dry January and beyond (painting will hold the job up until warmer weather arrives) I've decided I'm going to have a go at veneering the headstock in maple...

IMG_20190118_174236214.jpg

IMG_20190118_174450955.jpg

IMG_20190118_174505943.jpg

Now whilst I'm hoping that the body is properly glued up solid, I remembered @Andyjr1515 's next step after he'd glued up @TheGreek 's beauty.

String it up and wait and see what - if anything - happens to the wood under tension.

So that's what I did - and left it, for a week - between the living room, conservatory, and even the shed for a night.

Moving from each area in this current winter, I was hoping to replicate the many thermal changes a bass would usually encounter, particularly if it was being gigged and travelling in a van and then onto a hot stage etc - though unfortunately those days are probably long gone 🤔 I still thought it should be subjected to different temperatures and humidity just to make sure it was ok. It's going to live in the living room once finished, but I had to be sure it was solid.

IMG_20190120_141311971.jpg

IMG_20190120_141403844.jpg

IMG_20190120_141433204_HDR.jpgIMG_20190120_141453307_HDR.thumb.jpg.66fa0697dd03866fbf11785b6d9f2678.jpg

Edited by BassTool
Rear view pic added..
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BassTool said:

Needed a bit of a lie down after using my sanding skills to sort that out, and then actually realising I probably could have used my router 😖

Finished result looks like this...

IMG_20190118_171455998.jpg

Looks good. 

The trouble with routers is that it is so, so easy to completely wreck things like this.  I would generally do the same as you except I would use a microplane rasp to take it 'to the line' and then sand the rasp marks off for the final finish.

Nowadays, I always look to see if there is a decent alternative to using a router first.

I like your extra steps of putting the strung up bass into varying temperature places - very thorough!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Looks good. 

The trouble with routers is that it is so, so easy to completely wreck things like this.  I would generally do the same as you except I would use a microplane rasp to take it 'to the line' and then sand the rasp marks off for the final finish.

Nowadays, I always look to see if there is a decent alternative to using a router first.

I like your extra steps of putting the strung up bass into varying temperature places - very thorough!

Routers are great if you enjoy making multiple templates and guides and doing lots of test pieces 

• Like 2

I love the carves that Andy did on both of his creations for me. Personally I prefer a contoured body over a block. I'd add a carve to the lower bout (below) acknowledging the carve on the upper bout and showing off the laminated woods.

In regards the headstock, in profile it is pretty flat/square. Personally I'd round the edges to give a smoother, more modern profile. Hope the attached images help.

body carve.png

headstock profile.png

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

On 09/02/2019 at 07:35, Andyjr1515 said:

Looks good. 

I like the sound of that microplane rasp Andy, maybe a tool to look out for if I decide to do anything like this again. I've got to say it's become quite addictive.

The temperature thing was mainly for the top splits, there was so much glue and pressure in the main split I was reasonably happy it wouldn't come open again, and considering I've been sanding etc outside in some bitter temperatures then bringing the bass back indoors, I think it's passed the test as there's been no change in any of the splits whatsoever.

Edited by BassTool
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 12:34, TheGreek said:

I love the carves that Andy did on both of his creations for me. Personally I prefer a contoured body over a block. I'd add a carve to the lower bout (below) acknowledging the carve on the upper bout and showing off the laminated woods.

In regards the headstock, in profile it is pretty flat/square. Personally I'd round the edges to give a smoother, more modern profile. Hope the attached images help.

body carve.png

headstock profile.png

Good suggestions those Mick thanks for the ideas 👍

On 09/02/2019 at 12:40, TheGreek said:

This photo hints at what I'm trying to convey.

RpBtrEF.jpg

On 09/02/2019 at 12:47, TheGreek said:

Just been looking through the photos..the Bass has been in it's case for a few months and you do get used to them...just realised what a looker it is.

BAx6s1L.jpg

That bass is one of the best looking basses I have ever clapped eyes on. I hadn't seen those pictures before. Absolutely stunning. 😍

• Like 1