Why become a member? ×

New bass IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!

After a long time looking i have found a mint NOS Ibanez ASB 140, Not sure if these were ever imported into this country they are a better looking double cutaway version of the AGB 140 artcore bass. The plan is to install a Darkstar and perhaps a HAS sound varitone . Guild starfire on the cheap? maybe not quite but it should keep me happy for a while.

For any one interested in a semi acoustic the artcores are really good value for money, the only trick they missed is making a a double cutaway, double pickup bass in the same mold as the starfire. I will post slow progress reports of the darkstar conversion in due course :) I have posted some pictures of a DS'd AGB140 which will give you a clue of that i am aiming for, the darkstar looks much more at home than the stock pickup.....Yes i am a little excited about the prospect :huh:

Edited by steve-norris

That looks very nice imho. I've long hankered after a double cut semi like that, but like you I also felt the pickup on the Ibanez looked at bit out of place. It should look great with a DS in place.

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking.

£220 including shipping from the states, i will most likely get stung for import duty etc but all in all not a bad deal especially as i couldn't find one in this country.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='347166' date='Dec 6 2008, 12:12 PM']£220 including shipping from the states, i will most likely get stung for import duty etc but all in all not a bad deal especially as i couldn't find one in this country.[/quote]

Not too bad a price, especially considering the cost of shipping.

It's just such a shame (and baffling) that they were never released over here.

[quote name='Musky' post='347595' date='Dec 6 2008, 11:26 PM']It's just such a shame (and baffling) that they were never released over here.[/quote]
Agreed, they are so much better looking than the AGB 140 and were released at the same time. If they were only going to import one it should of been the double cutaway model.

As for darkstar pickups have a look here [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass+Pickup/product/DARK+STAR/DS-1/10/1"]link[/url] Personally i love them, although they look very retro we are not talking vintage mud! Really you need to hear them, very full and warm but with punch, very full range and smooth. one of the best things about them is the response to playing position and attack, they are so dynamic you may have to clean up your technique. Have a look around on the 'interweb ' for clips of Jack casady playing his guild fitted with original bi-sonics (the darkstars are a recreation of them lovingly engineered by Fred hammon)

Fred has some sound clips here [url="http://www.hammoneng.com/soundclips1.htm"]sound clips[/url]

Edited by steve-norris

[quote]Your item left the United States from FOREIGN CENTERJERSEY CITY NJ 099 at 10:55 PM on December 8, 2008. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.[/quote]

Torture, pure torture.

[quote]your item will be subject to unnecessary delay for the next 3 weeks pending the addition of vat and an outrageous handling charge[/quote]

that's what happens to me :)

Seriously tho' that's a nice looking bass - are you going to order the darkstar from fred?

[quote name='steve' post='355625' date='Dec 16 2008, 08:56 AM']that's what happens to me :)

Seriously tho' that's a nice looking bass - are you going to order the darkstar from fred?[/quote]

Your item is being processed by customs in GREAT BRITAIN. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. :huh:

Already ordered the HAS varitone and spoken to Fred, I will put an order in after christmas.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='358225' date='Dec 18 2008, 08:09 PM']Bl**dy Christmas post! [/quote]

Well, that's slow even for Xmas post. My Decade left Lakland on Fri Dec 5th - left US Sat Dec 6th - at Heathrow Sun Dec 7th - I traced it Mon Dec 8th - paid the extortionate fees/tax Tue Dec 9th - out for delivery Wed Dec 10th. Mind you I missed the delivery man and didn't get it until Thurs Dec 11th. Otherwise it would have been only five days door to door.

Anyway, it's going to sound great with the Dark Star. Congratulations.

Picked it up today, it's a beaut :huh: i will report back after christmas when I've had some time to play it. First impressions are good, very well made for the price point with a wide, flat but shallow neck which feels great to play. The new round wounds will be replaced with a nice set of flats, at the moment it's surprisingly lively at the top end, in fact you could get away slap.

Mods planned include at least one darkstar ( Two if i can install the bridge PU far enough back and cover the original route) The tone control is going to be replaced with a HAS sound varitone ( ordered ) I also quite like the idea of an ACG filter based preamp although it does go against the simple hollow body vibe (not that it stopped Jack casady with his alembic equipped Guilds!)

So far extremely happy, AND more presents soon! hopefully the wife has listened to my hints for a Trace Elliot V type or Ampeg fliptop :)