Why become a member? ×

First Ever Fretwork

stewblack

OK, things I've learned.

1: Allow enough time. Do not do this while clock watching.

2: Do this somewhere you can leave it in case something happens and you can't finish the job.

3: Don't get cocky. As you approach the final frets trying to shave that little line down to the thickness of a gnat's pube will likely end with you taking the top off the fret rendering all your hard work for nothing.

4: If you assemble the right tools, follow instructions you understand clearly it actually isn't all that daunting.

Edited by stewblack

I do my own setups - I learned when I could barely afford picks never mind paying someone to set up my bass! Now I could afford it, but still do it myself. I’ve also done loads of other work myself - changing pickups, bridges, neck shimming etc.

However, I’ve always been terrified to touch my frets. My 17 year old Jazz Bass definitely needs a bit of fret work now, the first 7 or so frets are pretty worn where the strings contact.

You may have inspired me to give it a go...

On 28/01/2019 at 21:12, geoham said:

I do my own setups - I learned when I could barely afford picks never mind paying someone to set up my bass! Now I could afford it, but still do it myself. I’ve also done loads of other work myself - changing pickups, bridges, neck shimming etc.

However, I’ve always been terrified to touch my frets. My 17 year old Jazz Bass definitely needs a bit of fret work now, the first 7 or so frets are pretty worn where the strings contact.

You may have inspired me to give it a go...

It is surprisingly simple. Trust me I'm a ham fisted klutz and I managed it!

• Thanks 1