Why become a member? ×

Squier Jaguar any experiences?

Grahambythesea

So normally I play 5 stringers but a friend has asked me to teach him bass so I think I need a 4 string so it’s easier to follow my finger positioning without the confusion of an extra string.

I'm now looking for an inexpensive bass of acceptable quality and I don’t fancy a Jazz, also I’m fussy about weight, too long playing ridiculously heavy guitars and carrying heavy amps!! 

The long scale Jaguar is appealing but I wonder if the largish body makes it heavy, so has anyone any experience of them  and does the P pick-up  sound like a precision?

Other suggestions gratefully received.

Peavey t-40? Only kidding. What budget do you have and what styles of music do you play?

Clearly you are looking for a pj bass for p and jazz sounds. The jaguar has a very good rep, good build and p pickup is good, jazz is weak.

Inexpensive alternatives I'd suggest looking at would be Ibanez tmb100, very similar to the squire. Or if you don't mind second hand, Yamaha rbx270 are very well made, decent sound with the jazz pickup slightly better than the squire or Ibanez. Also Revelation basses have a good rep and are similarly priced.

Edited by hooky_lowdown

I have one. They're not overly heavy or cumbersome, and the neck is nice and slim and fast playing. Sound wise the biggest problem is the active bass boost circuit which ranges from bland to boomy and makes it difficult to find a good true P or J tone. The good news is, if you find you don't like it there's a pretty simple mod on YouTube to bypass the circuit, which supposedly gives the bass a much more vintage and true P J sound.

They look pretty nice too if you're into the Fender thing. Admittedly I'm not so it's never really been my cup of tea. I'm currently waiting for my new bass to arrive then I'll be moving the Jag on, although they're so cheap new it's probably not worth it so I'll probably keep it as back up bass. 

IMG_20190121_232318_840.jpg

Edited by Newfoundfreedom