Why become a member? ×

Swapping four strings in under 7 minutes

Jay2U

Hopefully the cutter is designed for piano strings. Otherwise the jaws will be short-lived. I cut excess by bending the string back and forth. And then bend the cut string end to the tuning post with those cutters.

By cutting the old strings, you lose the possibility to use an old one if the new set has a defective unit. Not good outside your home or close to the store. That store which is open.

If I have any extra time, I will dust the fretboard and the area of the tuners, minimum.

I put some extra tension to the strings, one by one, to stabilize the string length/tension/tuning. If someone remembers that 1980's Billy Sheehan/Rotosound advertisement "Get to grips"... Then tune once more.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/1987-VINTAGE-5-5-X8-PRINT-Ad-FOR-ROTOSOUND-SWING-BASS-STRINGS-BILLY-SHEEHAN-/162923767136?hash=item25ef036560

At least four times a year I perform several check-ups and clean the board. As my fingers are dry as a desert, fretboards don't get dirty. On the G&L I change strings about every eight weeks, so I don't save all old string sets. I've got a few used sets, of course. Regarding stabilizing, I press the strings over the nut and saddles to set the break angle. Normally that's enough to get things stable. Retune the next day and I'm good to go.