Why become a member? ×

Flats on a USA SUB

Paddy515

I can't really comment on the passive SUB but I have a set of chrome flats on my active US SUB and they have transformed the bass for me.  It had nickel rounds on it before and, after not using the bass for a long time, I took it to a recent rehearsal - I hated it with the rounds so much that I even considered selling it.  It's just warmer and thicker sounding with flats.

It's back to "keeper" status now though. :heart:

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For my taste flats would suit both as well each other, depending on what music you're playing on them. 

That's the bottom line for me, so what music will you play on them both? If it's one for modern tones (some slap, rock, funk etc.) and one for mellow stuff, put the flats on the passive one. But if you want to mellow out the active one, put flats on that. Etc...

Anyway, flats on a Ray - nice ;) 

• Thanks 2

Play indie anthems with some brit-pop and a few 60s/70s oddities thrown in. Have had DR Sunbeams on the active and if anything, they are slightly overpowering, especially on the E  - have had to cut the bass eq from 75% to 50% on occasions. Will try the flats on it and the Drs on the passive to see how that sounds. Thanks.

• Like 1