Why become a member? ×

Neck vs Bridge compensation

la bam

Hi all,

Ive been really tinkering with my sound recently and found that the exact sound im after is achieved by hitting the strings more flat fingered inbetween the neck and pickups of my precision, whereas my normal playing position is between the pickups and bridge with a more arched hand.

Playing near the neck just seems to give it so much more tone and 3D type sound, whereas nearer the bridge its more sterile and i always sound like me.

Is there any way to continue playing near the bridge but eq in the missing sound from not playing at the neck? I really dont want to have to change my playing style if i dont need to.

Well if he played a Precision, getting the sound he got should be possible replicating whatever choices he used to get the same sound - strings, EQ, amp, cabs, or if none of these, just learning to play between PUP and neck (where to my mind the best Precision tones are to be had. I use a PUP cover on most of mine to achieve a binary tone palette - behind the cover = tight, articulate and immediate, in front of the cover = full, fat and slightly lagging.