Why become a member? ×

My First Stingray!

Cabal

I've just aquired my first Stingray from a fellow Basschatter. Always wanted one, finally got around to it. Hurrah!

Just a couple of quick questions:

Where can i get original Musicman parts, in this case a black scratchplate? If not, what about ready-made custom stuff?

Also, i'm without a key for the case, so does anyone know if they're universal fit? If they are, would anybody out there be prepared to lend me one to get a copy made, if indeed a copy can be made of this type of key.

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Cabal

[quote name='Tinman' post='343755' date='Dec 3 2008, 06:58 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=248"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=248[/url]

Have a look through this sticky for your spares :) You should be able to find something[/quote]
Cheers, hadn't noticed this one before. :huh:

[quote name='Cabal' post='343916' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:30 AM']Now this is what i call a selection of pickguards:

[url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/[/url]

Anyone bought from here?[/quote]

Hey Cabal. I actually have a few spare MusicMan pickguards for an SR4 (and am based in the Birmingham area), so let me know what you're looking for. I went a bit pickguard crazy back in the day, but have gone back to using the black ones my SR4s originally came with. If I remember correctly I have abalone, black pearl and tortoise shell guards going spare, so if you're interested, just drop me a PM. I also have a strange gold coloured one from one of the limited edition Stingrays. They all fit the standard single humbucker SR4 with the trussrod adjustment wheel at the bass of the neck.

Otherwise if you're looking for alternative sources, I bought a clear plexi guard from Dazbootman on ebay. He's based in the US and I assume he makes them himself (and was strangely based in San Luis Obispo where the MusicMan factory is/was), but the one I bought fit perfectly and it was much cheaper than the official ones and still of good quality.

[quote name='Cabal' post='343742' date='Dec 3 2008, 02:40 AM']Also, i'm without a key for the case, so does anyone know if they're universal fit? If they are, would anybody out there be prepared to lend me one to get a copy made, if indeed a copy can be made of this type of key.[/quote]

I've always been puzzled as to what good a lock on a instrument case is. I supose that it prevents accidental opening in transit, but if someones wants to steal the guitar they'd surely just take the case as well?

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='346010' date='Dec 5 2008, 12:07 AM']I've always been puzzled as to what good a lock on a instrument case is. I supose that it prevents accidental opening in transit, but if someones wants to steal the guitar they'd surely just take the case as well?[/quote]
Well, i see the lock on a guitar case as being there to stop certain people from getting into it, not to stop the thing itself from being nicked.

Have you ever walked into a shared dressing room to find a complete stranger playing your guitar for example?

Always better safe than sorry i reckon.

Edited by Cabal

[quote name='Cabal' post='346062' date='Dec 5 2008, 04:23 AM']Have you ever walked into a shared dressing room to find a complete stranger playing your guitar for example?[/quote]

luckily, no...or I'd then have to hand the offending musicians fingers back to him in a bloodstained wad of tissue!

On the subject of the key, it's a dead simple little lock...if you desperately NEED to, you could use a bent paperclip/hairpin?

p.s. welcome to the stingray family :)

*edit* and wtf are you up at 4.23am?! lol!

Edited by phil_the_bassist